Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

my bgo,s

faulksy

......Unless the Hutech Ortho's turn out to be as good as Baader's Ortho's. The Hutech lenses are priced at £89 which will make the second hand BGO's look overpriced.

The Hutech Ortho's look identical to the BGO's on FLO - Does anyone know anything about them?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres hoping they make the first 68 degree ortho then :)

Orthoscopic is merely related to performance not design ;).

The Pentax XW's I believe give orthoscopic performance with a 70 degree field of view :).

......Unless the Hutech Ortho's turn out to be as good as Baader's Ortho's. The Hutech lenses are priced at £89 which will make the second hand BGO's look overpriced.

The Hutech Ortho's look identical to the BGO's on FLO - Does anyone know anything about them?

I've not actually seen a Hutech / Kasai ortho "in the flesh" but they look from the photos to be identical to the University Optics HD orthos. These look pretty much the same as Baader GO's but the logos etc are screen printed rather than engraved and they have the safety recess cut into the chrome barrel. I've compared the performance of a UO HD 5mm ortho with a Baader GO 5mm and could see no difference at all. Antares also had an HD ortho range for a while which looked exactly the same as the UO HD's and Hutech / Kasai's.

We will see for sure when they get here, eventually :smiley:

Heres hoping they make the first 68 degree ortho then :)

Narrow field orthoscopic is all about execution. Televue design eyepieces but don't make them. They outsource manufacturing to some company in Taiwan, and then shipped them back to US for QC. It is possible the OEM simply isn't good enough to compete with Zeiss and Pentax.

Many of the current 70 deg premium are really good, and as good as ortho in terms of sharpness and contrast.

However, if you really want true orthoscopic performance, Nikon's NAV-SW is said to be the most orthoscopic of the wide fields. It's free of rectilinear distortion, straight lines stays straight and orthogonal lines stays orthogonal. (PS. it's not really useful for astronomy, except stars moves in straight lines across the FOV rather than a negligible curve). Originally Abbe designed the Abbe ortho for microscope where rectilinear distortion can mess up measurement. Correction of aberration down to F5 was a secondary objective.

I've not actually seen a Hutech / Kasai ortho "in the flesh" but they look from the photos to be identical to the University Optics HD orthos. These look pretty much the same as Baader GO's but the logos etc are screen printed rather than engraved and they have the safety recess cut into the chrome barrel. I've compared the performance of a UO HD 5mm ortho with a Baader GO 5mm and could see no difference at all. Antares also had an HD ortho range for a while which looked exactly the same as the UO HD's and Hutech / Kasai's.

We will see for sure when they get here, eventually :smiley:

Any chance of a Hutech review when they arrive John?They look very much like bgo's from the pics and if they can match the build quality and optical performance they'd be very tempting

Any chance of a Hutech review when they arrive John?They look very much like bgo's from the pics and if they can match the build quality and optical performance they'd be very tempting

Thats very much what I'm planning Keith and FLO will send me some as soon as they are available :smiley:

I'm hanging on to the BCO's and BGO's so, weather permitting, I'll be able to do a 3-way comparison in due course.

Thats very much what I'm planning Keith and FLO will send me some as soon as they are available :smiley:

I'm hanging on to the BCO's and BGO's so, weather permitting, I'll be able to do a 3-way comparison in due course.

Excellent! I very much look forward to hearing your report.Cheers for the work

sounds very good john, do you no when they are available at flo ?. on a different note i had a reply from the lady selling the 18mm bgo on abs, and she said the price was correct £110 i asked why so dear and she said thats the current selling price second hand. but im open to offers. so i have asked her if she would take £20 no only joking £80 so i will let you no her responce

....sounds very good john, do you no when they are available at flo ?. ....

No ETA on the Hutech / Kasai orthos yet as far as I know. I'll post (as I'm sure FLO will) as soon as there is any news.

One option re the 18mm BGO is the TV 15mm Plossl. I sold my 18mm BGO as the field in the TVP was about the same and the sky a little darker. I've not really missed the 18mm so thought I'd mention this - you can get them used for about £50-60.

Another option would be the 18mm Baader Classic Ortho. I felt it's light transmission was even better than the BGO to be honest. It does not have the BGO's build quality though and it's not par-focal with the BGO's either. The BCO's would be much closer to par-focal with the TV plossls actually.

• 1 month later...

Hay Qualia,

CAn you please give me some spanish websites to purchase eyepieces?

Thanks

Bought secondhand a 9mm a month ago for £50 on Astr-Buy, brought the 7mm in Spain for just €40 via ebay. I see they're going secondhand this week on Astro-buy for between £65 to £110 or so. Seems a bit odd, though, for the 18mm is still on sale in many shops in Spain and brand new doesn't cost more than €90 (about £70).

These are some of the general places I look at when hunting for secondhand bargains:

astronomo. Bargains crop up from time to time. Brought a BGO 5mm here for around €42.

segundamano. Enter by clicking any city area and then once inside on the title 'selecciona provincia' just click on 'toda España'. As can be seen, for example, there's a BGO 12.5mm going for €45 this month (about £35). I'd buy it if I weren't saving up for a 14mm.

ebay españa. Bought my BGO 7mm here for €40.

Te-les-Koop. Another nice place for checking out. Some great bargains but find posting to Spain a bit pricey.

Astro Surf. French site of some interest. Usually find it quite pricey and bargains get snapped up quickly.

A nice place for buying new eyepieces isn't in Spain but Holland:

Robtics. Their Tele Vue EPs, for example, are generally better priced than else where.

Hope this gets the ball rolling.

P:S: Buying secondhand is always a risk and more so if you're dealing with folk in a foreign country etc. Be very wary. Personally, I'd never risk making direct bank transfers, for you will not be covered. Also worth bearing in mind that there are a lot of sharks about, so at the slightest ill-feeling or dodgy-vibe, pull out. Moreover, once you take into account postage costs - which outside the given country - is often quite pricey, you may not be looking at such a great deal.

Based on Johns on site report on the Hutech range how can the BGOs still be changing hands at silly prices. I bought a 9mm the other month for over the odds but it was not that badly priced at 80 pounds. I would wait for the Hutechs to come in again with FLO, I bought the 12.5mm from them but believe it was the last one for the moment. I also went for the 18mm Kasai which by all accounts is not second best. How anyone can now advertise these at inflated prices and expect people to pay when clearly the same is on offer for 89 pounds is beyond me. I can also understand people wanting a set of them just to keep the eyepiece case looking pretty. I would wait and buy new from an outlet we all trust! Alan.

Archived