SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aurora, Alta, Norway

Canon 600D, ISO800, 30 secs, Sigma @10mm, F3.5. this was my one chance to see & photograph the Aurora. it lasted for around an hour. would like to have done a time lapse, but did not get a second chance.

8559097411_ca22de81cd_b.jpg

8560201362_357960ab02_b.jpg

8559055953_0d485b28f1_b.jpg

8560164168_249201c37b_b.jpg

Thanks a lot, well it was the only chance & I happened to be ready & had been on a mission, for weeks, to get it right on the night, no second chances. the focus worried me a bit. I had focused on distant objects during the day, but when moving around on unfamiliar territory, the camera was getting knocked, & I just focused where I thought it had been right when practicing. The display was only there for an hour.

there is another member of SGL who was there, next to me, as it happens, who has done a great timelapse, hope he puts it on.

When looking at the display, it is not nearly as bright as the camera sees it. they are graded from 1-10. i think this night was a 4, would love to see a 10!!

No did not see the Ice Hotel. i have been to one in Finnish Lapland, so gave it a miss as the trips were so expensive.

To cut a long story short, as well. on the way back the ship struck an uncharted object below the water line. we had to carry on with a bung in the 18" hole, which was a bit nerve wracking. We had to miss a couple of excursions as the ship had to find the nearest dry dock, to accommodate its deep draft, which ended up as Antwerp, so it could be repaired. someone said that a couple had sat in one of the bars, in protest at being on an unsafe ship, in their lifejackets with their luggage all packed next to them!

I can understand it...................

Hello Fay,

Yes, I did get the timelapse, but my focus was off slightly (unlike yours. Your pictures are awesome). I have created a basic timelapse from the images, but the camera has shifted the colour balance during the evening and the colours don't match up properly.

If there is anybody here who can help with getting the images balanced I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Dave - DaSilvor

Thanks Dave, i did not want to let myself down on that night, it is always touch & go when in a panic! I had taken a lot of tips from you, good job I did!

Dave Dasilver, so sad if your focus is off that much I only saw it on the waiters memory stick, it looked fantastic & I wished I had done a timelapse. i am sure someone will be able to help & improve what you have got, I hope so

Fay

I think i must have knocked it a bit when turning the camera after focusing on the houses at the top of the hill, other than that it may have been the lens attachmnt i used to get wide angle. Despite it being a bit off, I'm still happy with the overall result. I just need to learn to use SGL forum now so i can post it.

Dave - DaSilvor

Dave, the houses were probably not far off enough to get a focus. really you needed to focus during the day on a really distant object, a plan, the distant mountains etc etc. and then turn focus to manual & take note or fix it with some tape or something to stop it moving.

Fay

I may know the settings, but I still have a lot to learn about using a dslr for astro photography LOL.

I have just tried to link to a couple of images in Flickr, but it keeps telling me I am not allowed to use that image extension here. So, I'll email them to Fay instead LOL

Cheers

Dave - DaSilvor

Archived