SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 Dual Axis ST-4 Guideport Mod

badgerchap

Let's face it guys these control units are just badly designed and unreliable when it comes to imaging. They have no protection from damp weather and they have no prevision for spare parts if they burn out your only option is spend more money. I certainly could not recommend them any more. Isn't it about time sky watcher improved this weakness in an otherwise great range of telescopes and products? Fortunately I have found a replacement for my third burned out controller but I have no confidence that it will last any longer then the others have done given there track record so far, unless my luck improves. Shame its down to luck rather then good old fashioned reliability which is sadly lacking in most things these days.

OK moan over. :D

• Like 1

Isn't it about time sky watcher improved this weakness in an otherwise great range of telescopes and products?

I agree. However, I have noticed that since the release of the EQ6-GT and EQ8 that the prices of 2nd hand HEQ5s seem to be dropping slowly. Having seen a 2nd hand one on ABS yesterday for £375, It's hard to countenance buying a new EQ5 with dual axis for roughly that price. It just sucks if you already have the kit I suppose.

I did look at buying the chips and building a copy, but hit a similar problem to Oily - no info on reader/programmer :(

I did look at buying the chips and building a copy, but hit a similar problem to Oily - no info on reader/programmer :(

It seems odd that the microcontroller should be so cheap (I think Farnell sell them singly for about £2.50) yet the programmer seems to be hard to source. Perhaps that's why they're so cheap :)

I wonder if there's a pin-compatible replacement that does have an easily-obtained reader/programmer that might also read the existing microcontroller, assuming of course that the latter is even possible at all?

James

It seems odd that the microcontroller should be so cheap (I think Farnell sell them singly for about £2.50) yet the programmer seems to be hard to source. Perhaps that's why they're so cheap :)

I wonder if there's a pin-compatible replacement that does have an easily-obtained reader/programmer that might also read the existing microcontroller, assuming of course that the latter is even possible at all?

James

It may be moderately easy to completely redesign and rebuild these, or come up with some hardware that would allow the job to be done by a PC. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills for this just yet, but am learning. I'm amazed no-one has looked more into these ideas in the past. I'd be gobsmacked if there was only a single chip that could do this job.

It has occurred to me that an Arduino-based controller would probably work. As far as I can tell there's not much in the box other than the microcontroller and a set of darlington drivers for the motors. I assume the microcontroller just takes the inputs from the buttons on the front of the box and generates pulses at the correct rate into the darlington pairs to drive to motors at the proper rates. I admit that's poorly-educated guesswork, mind :D

James

OO Arduino, I'd not given thought to that. I've seen a number of designs for Arduino stepper motor controllers online, so I suppose you could dispense with the handset entirely. Good thinking James. I'm off to investigate.

Looking at the very first entry when searching for "Arduino Stepper Motor Control" on a well known search engine, it doesn't look too challenging. A little bit of fiddling and a small amount of easy-to-acquire hardware (some of which I already have I think). I may well give this a whirl.

Definitely. Should be cheaper than a new box and won't need to be torn open either! Plus because most of the technical wrangling would be on the computer, there'd be a lot less room for bad connections, dodgy components etc. The only hindrance I can see is that it will be even more vulnerable to dew and damp. Having said that, a plastic bag and a load of gaffer tape could sort that out lol.

• 3 months later...

Wow I am so glad I found this topic! I recently purchased a Celestron CG-4 EQ mount with motor drive and it comes with the exact same hand controller. I've used Arduino's for a number of simple projects and also keen to integrate one at some point, will let you guys know if I get it right.

Scares me a little that this controller is not very reliable, thanks for the heads up... going to look at adding a voltage regulator ASAP.

Regarding a reader/programmer for the chips this controller uses, you can build one using an arduino... quick google shows this

Wow I am so glad I found this topic! I recently purchased a Celestron CG-4 EQ mount with motor drive and it comes with the exact same hand controller. I've used Arduino's for a number of simple projects and also keen to integrate one at some point, will let you guys know if I get it right.

Scares me a little that this controller is not very reliable, thanks for the heads up... going to look at adding a voltage regulator ASAP.

Regarding a reader/programmer for the chips this controller uses, you can build one using an arduino... quick google shows this

Save yourself the pain and buy an AstroEQ instead  ;)

Save yourself the pain and buy an AstroEQ instead  ;)

Wish I had done a bit more research before buying my mount & motor drive but hey, no regrets yet... it will probably drive me crazy but keen for the challenge  :smiley:

Having spent a considerable amount of time money and effort on the eq5 200p set up my conclusion is this.. if you can afford it get an HEQ5 and use EQMOD with a laptop, if not get an EQ5 a 200p and ASTROEQ and use EQMOD with your laptop, which so far is the best solution allowing me to guide and have go to system use EQMODS many features and it works great.

Astrophotography is great fun but it can drain you dry if you let it my set up is cheap it works and I get good results. I have grown so fond of my EQ5 mount and 200p and used it for nearly 3 years all my images apart from a few where done with this set up and the rest was just perseverance and patience. One day when my money boat comes in I will upgrade my kit but for now I am content with what I have got.

But the biggest learning curve without a doubt has been processing my images so take time to get to grips with it, and most of all enjoy every minute you get under the stars you pass this way only once. :smiley:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I jus got my GPUSB adapter, n it doesn't wek properly at all. I did the mods to specifications, LED on unit is red, ra/da manual guide on PHD don't match up. Anyone else this issue? I'm thinkin of gettin a synscan goto upgrade for my eq5

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know if this could be done with the Celestron Super C8 hand control? It’s a 4 button control that works the clock drive and optional dec motor. It’s uses a single rj-12 plug.

It seems like it would be a simple mod that could allow a bunch of older Celestron SCTs to connect to an ST-4 autoguider. 

5F129E5D-99D8-48B3-BD68-CADFB7A67D73.jpeg