SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepieces collection for dob 12"?

zoneca

Coma or eyepiece astigmatism just dosn't bother me, theres too much to see at the centre of the field of view for me to worry about edges.........well at the moment at least. :grin:

Thats great - you won't need to splash out on wide field eyepieces then :smiley:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Though as I am sure you will appreciate it takes time for most of us to build our gear up and whilst a blindingly good/satisfying collection of ep's does bring good rewards it should not detract from the huge amount of pleasure, fun and discovery to be had along the way. If I end up with a few Nags and a Paracorr I will only be able to appreciate them for the time I spent without... :)

Quite right - it's taken me 30 years to get to where I am now with equipment and I've had a lot of fun with much lower cost stuff along the way :smiley:

If push came to shove I'd sell the lot, get some cheap plossls and and 8" F/6 dob still have a lot of fun :smiley:

I have discovered, when using my F4.9 dob, that whilst coma is present it is subtle (when using quality eyepieces)so for myself is not an issue. At high power, the central area of the image is mostly seen, whilst the comatic outer region is not revealed quite as much. I also agree with John, it can take a long time to build up a set of quality equipment, yet if it became necessary tomorrow to trade off and fall back on some good plossls and an 8" scope, it would still work wonders.

Go..go..go for it. I'll get the UWAN 16mm & possibly 7mm (if only I'm tempted) then ignore the paracorr. By the end of the year I'll get the tv 2x barlow. How much difference it would be compared to powermate?

Jon.

====

SW 12" dob f/4.9 - Plossl 25mm, 10mm 1.25".

Thats great - you won't need to splash out on wide field eyepieces then :smiley:

Not at the moment, but I'm sure the need will win out. Essentials just keep getting in the way but the day will surely come when that Nagler or equvalent will entice the cash from my wallet.

Now something is bothering me again. Just read other people (Dr. Carsten Reese) review about uwan 16mm which is not perform so good in fast scope that he rated it just 7 over 10. The other 4mm & 7mm were rated 9. Reconsider to get 4mm rather than 16mm.

Using 4mm in my dob, how long can I observe an object without moving the tube (From edge to edge)? how to calculate this? I'm so curious to see the planets close up.

Jon.

=======================================

I have an eyepiece in the case at the moment that someone rated at only 6.5 out of 10, that is the 24mm Meade UWA, it's a suberb eyepiece in my books, not as good as the 26mm Nagler but at less than half the price what can one expect. 7/10 is only an opinion, my Brother could have called himself Doctor but never did, it don't mean there eyes are any better, it just means they they have passed difficult exams.

Alan

Now something is bothering me again. Just read other people (Dr. Carsten Reese) review about uwan 16mm which is not perform so good in fast scope that he rated it just 7 over 10. The other 4mm & 7mm were rated 9. Reconsider to get 4mm rather than 16mm.

Using 4mm in my dob, how long can I observe an object without moving the tube (From edge to edge)? how to calculate this? I'm so curious to see the planets close up.

Jon.

Hi Jon, the 4mm would be too powerful for most viewing conditions, however, if you put the ep details in at this website it gives you the drift time as the last calculation: http://www.stargazing.net/naa/scopemath.htm

I have an eyepiece in the case at the moment that someone rated at only 6.5 out of 10, that is the 24mm Meade UWA, it's a suberb eyepiece in my books, not as good as the 26mm Nagler but at less than half the price what can one expect. 7/10 is only an opinion, my Brother could have called himself Doctor but never did, it don't mean there eyes are any better, it just means they they have passed difficult exams.

Alan

Yeah right. Got the point. Maybe I will easily satisfied by any fl of this UWAN cause I never look through any nagler.^_^

Hi Jon, the 4mm would be too powerful for most viewing conditions, however, if you put the ep details in at this website it gives you the drift time as the last calculation: http://www.stargazing.net/naa/scopemath.htm

Thanks wilkey for the link. I filled in the value and it seems that the object will drift away in 53sec. Hmm... do you think it will be enough to enjoy?

Jon.

Many folks do use high magnifications with dobsonians and seem to enjoy the experience.

In practical terms though 375x (which is what the 4mm will give in a 12" F/5 scope) will be more power than will be useful more often than not. It's not so much the drift time but the limited clarity / sharpness that such magnification gives, usually because the seeing conditions just aren't up to it.

Yeah right. Got the point. Maybe I will easily satisfied by any fl of this UWAN cause I never look through any nagler. ^_^

Thanks wilkey for the link. I filled in the value and it seems that the object will drift away in 53sec. Hmm... do you think it will be enough to enjoy?

Jon.

It will not be much time, but it depends on how expert you are on nudging, for a good view of the planet or object, I guess it would be worthwhile, I have used the same magnification and on Saturn it was well worth it.

Thank you all for helping me alot since I started this thread. Because this will be my first purchase, I don't want to chose the wrong decision.

Jon.

Not yet finished typing. .. Moreover It's not easy to find the seller. I had to fly to jakarta to buy these UWAN, and don't have many choice of brands aswell. They only sell wo, orion stratus n vixen. Ofcourse the prices also more expensive than the online seller. 4mm, 7mm & 16mm UWAN cost $283 each. The beast cost $480. :o

I should skip the beast for the moment. :(

There might be more questions that come into mind, hope you guys won't be tired answering my silly question s. :lol:

Jon.

• 6 months later...

Finally I managed to buy my self 2 used tv eps (naggler 22mm & 11mm).

Now my eps collection are:

5mm Orion stratus 68°

8mm Orion stratus 68°

10mm plossl

11mm Televue nagler type 6 82°

22mm Televue nagler type 4 82°

25mm plossl

Filters:

Narrowband Orion ultrablock filter

Moon filter

post-29641-13880708025_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

you were right John. After using these two, I kept on switching these two eps only and dont have the will to touch the others. I found quality here.... I looked at Jupiter many times & thinking to get another higher power. thanks for your suggestion about ES ep, but I dont have the choice here... can only find TV.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Archived