Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

zoneca

Eyepieces collection for dob 12"?

I've experienced that personally having owned both the 16mm UWAN and the 16mm Nager T5 :rolleyes2:

..I bet your not the only one on here to of done that John!!

I have never used a 16mm Uwan but I know of a man that has and if he said it is a good eyepiece then it will be. I am not sure with the air turbulance you have out that way that X300 will ever be any good no matter which eyepiece you have. I would when you can afford it settle for the 7mm Uwan as your top magnification unless you are happy with using the barlow on the 16mm of course giving you 8mm.

I think once you have the 16mm Uwan you will quickly understand the eyepieces that arrived with the scope are not the best in the world. The 28mm Uwan would be a nice low power but again expensive and you would have to do some saving for it.

Alan.

....I think once you have the 16mm Uwan you will quickly understand the eyepieces that arrived with the scope are not the best in the world....

I think that might be the weakness in the OP's latest plan. Having one eyepiece that is markedly better than the others in your set quickly leads to the desire to bring them all up to, or at least much closer to, the standard of the best one.

• Like 2

I think that might be the weakness in the OP's latest plan. Having one eyepiece that is markedly better than the others in your set quickly leads to the desire to bring them all up to, or at least much closer to, the standard of the best one.

I know that feeling :p

• Like 1

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1433 I love the story time near the bottom!

thank you for sharing this article. :happy4:

I have never used a 16mm Uwan but I know of a man that has and if he said it is a good eyepiece then it will be. I am not sure with the air turbulance you have out that way that X300 will ever be any good no matter which eyepiece you have. I would when you can afford it settle for the 7mm Uwan as your top magnification unless you are happy with using the barlow on the 16mm of course giving you 8mm.

Now I'm confuse whether the Barlow is useful or not? Because in the article mentioned that this UWAN is not suitable for use with Barlow. This will cause me to draw extra $ to get 7mm UWAN for high power :huh: . Should I go for Orion Stratus 8mm indeed? I'm afraid of doing the wrong decision that cause a lot more money to spend.

I've got a 16mm Skywatcher Nirvana a similar eyepiece to the Uwan. It performs beautifully in my 12" Dob and to my eyes barlows very well. Like you I'm in need of a range of eyepieces but have decided not to rush and buy them all at once, my funds are tight so I'm waiting patiently scanning the used ads for suitable glass. Having used the Nirvana I quite fancy the 28mm and the 7mm, of course if a suitable nagler should pop up I'd certainly buy that as well.

Gary.

and anything below F5 is where quality EP's come into there own..

7mm gets a lot of use as my high(est) power ep in my 12" dob (FL 1500, Mag 214X).

Patient is all I need like 8kids said. Agree. Can't imagine why this kind of activity can drive people crazy and willing to spend money on buying more eps, including me... I've to stick on my mind to get only 16mm UWAN and 2x barlow at the moment and just ignore whether the barlow can be used in UWAN or not. I still can use it with Plossl anyway. ..

I also have a 16 wo uwan and I don't find it a problem barlowed with my 2x tv barlow. I tried it out tonight after reading this thread and it seems good to me on both Saturn and M13. It would be fair to say that is not quite as sharp as my 8mm tv plossl but it is only slight / tiny. If you new to observing I doubt you would find a problem with it for a good while in which time the patience would have paid off. I don't find it a problem anyway.

I have the 16mm uwan as well the nirvana and the 28mm version and find they Barlow very well indeed.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

The Naglers seem to barlow well so I see no reason why the UWAN's should not as they are a very similar optical design and very nearly the same quality. That said, sticking one in a cheap barlow is not going to do it any favours - the view will only be as good as the lowest quality component in the optical train.

The trouble with all this thought of premium eyepieces is that at F/4.92, coma may well be an issue. It's not exactly cheap to fix (Televue Paracorr II).

To me, your money would be better spent on a Paracorr and some TeleVue Plössls.

The trouble with all this thought of premium eyepieces is that at F/4.92, coma may well be an issue. It's not exactly cheap to fix (Televue Paracorr II).

To me, your money would be better spent on a Paracorr and some TeleVue Plössls.

I use tv plossls in a 4.8 and don't find coma an issue with them, it is only there right on the very edge. It is there with the 16uwan at around 80% out though I don't see it unless I look at it.

• Like 1

I use tv plossls in a 4.8 and don't find coma an issue with them, it is only there right on the very edge. It is there with the 16uwan at around 80% out though I don't see it unless I look at it.

I stand corrected :).

• Like 1

Quite. Stick to a decent <70deg FOV EP and it's amazing what a fast Dob will tolerate and as magnification increases, it rapidly becomes less of an issue. I've rearranged my EP case to accommodate my ES82 30mm with the Altair Astro CC permanently attached, because that's the only EP that needs it and even then, others may find the coma less obtrusive.

Russelll

I stand corrected smile.gif.

I wouldn't take my word for it it seems that we all experience things a bit differently depending on our expectations but generally I'm only really bothered about what I am looking at and that is usually around the centre. I find the plossls very good especially the 11 and 15, I would quite like a paracorr but food has to take priority mostly..:)

• Like 1

Observing with 10mm plossl for a dob is not convenient, have to move the scope in seconds. That's why I chose a wider fov. The coma you all talk about would it be annoying so that I have to buy the very expensive paracorr? Can't imagine how long the ep will be if used with barlow & paracorr together.:huh:

Sky-Watcher 12" dobsonian collapsible f/4.9

8x50 RA viewfinder, Telrad finder.

Plossl 25 mm & 10 mm 1.25" eps.

Goal: Jupiter, Saturn, m4, m42, m43, m80.

Haha... the signature became double as I set it in tapatalk. Sorry...:blink:

Jon.

Hello Jon, with regards to coma people take it different ways, some folk can live with it and some people can't. Me like most of the chaps I know can live with it without fussing. It is far less an issue with better EP's than the cheaper ones, I wouldn't get too concerned for the now at least but it will ultimately depend on your personal expectations. As I have mentioned I use the 16 WO UWAN at 4.8 and whilst I would like a paracorr I could manage my whole life without one, nothing is spoiled without them. Also Explorer Scientific will be bringing one out some time in the near future and it will no doubt be far cheaper than the tv one.

• Like 1

With cheaper wide field eyepieces you don't tend see coma because it's masked by the astigmatism at the field edges that the eyepiece produces. That's the "rub" in a way with fast newts and well corrected wide field eyepieces - you get to see the coma that the scope produces (all standard newtonians produce it).

Personally (and as foundaplanet says, it is personal) I don't want to have forked out for expensive wide, ultra and hyper wide eyepieces just to have the outer parts of the FoV distorted. In my case I've opted for an F/5.3 newtonian where coma is much less than at F/4.8. Otherwise I would have either i) stuck to 68 degree or probably narrower eyepieces or ii) invested in a coma corrector.

Al Nagler created a motto for Tele Vue: "Show no field unless it's sharp" and I'm in that camp :smiley:

• Like 1

I think that coma is worth removing, certainly on an F/4.5. However, I do not see coma even with high quality eyepieces. What I do see is the increased brightness and detail in the outer field when coma is removed.

As with eyepieces, there are cheaper options than Tele Vue...

With cheaper wide field eyepieces you don't tend see coma because it's masked by the astigmatism at the field edges that the eyepiece produces. That's the "rub" in a way with fast newts and well corrected wide field eyepieces - you get to see the coma that the scope produces (all standard newtonians produce it).

Personally (and as foundaplanet says, it is personal) I don't want to have forked out for expensive wide, ultra and hyper wide eyepieces just to have the outer parts of the FoV distorted. In my case I've opted for an F/5.3 newtonian where coma is much less than at F/4.8. Otherwise I would have either i) stuck to 68 degree or probably narrower eyepieces or ii) invested in a coma corrector.

Al Nagler created a motto for Tele Vue: "Show no field unless it's sharp" and I'm in that camp smiley.gif

I think if I had been observing as long as you John coupled with the experience I would also be as discerning in looking for those extras to boost that experience.

Though as I am sure you will appreciate it takes time for most of us to build our gear up and whilst a blindingly good/satisfying collection of ep's does bring good rewards it should not detract from the huge amount of pleasure, fun and discovery to be had along the way. If I end up with a few Nags and a Paracorr I will only be able to appreciate them for the time I spent without...:)

I think the things that you have to balance when choosing eyepieces are:

• Expectations of the quality of view
  • How willing you are to fork out a lot of cash early on: TeleVue Naglers are obviously far more expensive than a standard Plössl, but the problem is that once you've experienced good quality, it's difficult to impossible to go back and enjoy the experience in the same way. For example, I started with a pair of cheap 10x50s around March last year at a cost of ~£10, I thought these were the bees knees. Then, on upgrading to my Skywatcher Heritage 130P I soon realised the binoculars were pretty awful. The scope gave much much better views!
  • How willing you are to upgrade your eyepieces if you are unhappy with cheap or mid-range eyepieces
  • Budget: It's all very well wanting the best, but if you wanted a set of TeleVue Ethos(es?) you would have to be finding around £8k new price.

On these points, I do realise I have strayed away from the OP, but the point in my view is that it is better to get good quality that you won't have to upgrade. Given the personal circumstances of every amateur astronomer are very different, the eyepieces they end up getting vary immensly (talking outside the world of SGL and CN etc.).

HTH

Coma or eyepiece astigmatism just dosn't bother me, theres too much to see at the centre of the field of view for me to worry about edges.........well at the moment at least. :grin: