2 X Great Nights In Cornwall

KJ Dalley

The last two consecutive nights down here in the South West have been pretty amazing.

Two personal firsts for me as well that are leaving me absolutely buzzing. The first one was last night when I finally found Bode's Nebulae. I knew I was in the right area and just happened to notice M81 as I was panning across the sky (please bare in mind that I had no idea at the time that I had found what I was looking for!). Thinking to myself "That smudge looks like its different, I wonder if..." and before I could finish that thought I noticed something that turned out to be M82. At first I thought it was a lens aberration or cursed street light getting in at a funny angle, but as I moved the scope to try and get a better look at M81 I realised that M82 was moving in the eyepiece as well. I switched eyepieces and sure enough it was still there. I was really gobsmacked when the penny finally dropped. It took a stupidly long time for me to realise what I was looking at! Well I settled into my observation of this splendid site, trying to remain still to get the best view but so excited I kept moving around too much, wondering how I should record the moment. I eventually just enjoyed viewing this as it has alluded me for a long time and yet here it was so clear and so fantastic. It was only a couple of hours later that I started reading about it on the PC that I started learning about the gravitational relationship between the two and how this was accelerating star formation. As far as I was concerned this was making up for a lot of grey skies and I was pretty chuffed.

And then tonight as I left work I had that feeling of, "Could this really be another clear night tonight?" It was a little hazy as I set up tonight but for some reason had a thing for Jupiter. It was a little after 2000h and I found Jupiter, tried a couple of eyepieces and for the first time in ages went back into the house, rummaged about and found my 2 x Barlow lens. I had convinced myself that I could see the Great Red Spot, so I fitted it to my highest power eyepiece, and refocused in. After holding my breath for about 20 mins I was convinced I could see "something". I fired up my prehistoric mobile phone which has the crappiest web browser known to man and somehow managed to get the GRS Transit Times for Jupiter in March on it (http://www.skyandtelescope.com/skytel/beyondthepage/Great-Red-Spot-Transit-Table-2012-2013-159437655.html if this interests you). There it was, confirming the GRS an entry for 2003h and I can now confidently say that I have finally found the GRS of Jupiter. I think that I have seen it before but never cross referenced it with data of viewing times.

I know most of you will have viewed these wonders probably many times, but when its your first time, its kind of special. Not much gets me buzzing these days, but the last two evenings for me have been very, very enjoyable and I hope that the rest of you have the same joy as I do, seeking out the secrets of the solar system and beyond.

Clear skies wherever you are.

KD

Always a nice feeling when you stumble upon something you weren't necessarily looking for. Congrats on bagging the pair!

Galaxies have a nice habit of hanging around in groups. So there are a great number of opportunities for seeing two, three or even more in one field of view.

Try the Leo triplet (M65, M66 and NGC 3628). The Leo trio of M95, M96 and M105 are also close together and have feinter companions too (NGC 3384 and NGC 3389).

Happy hunting!

Archived