SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ2 Mount RA setting circle

Hey Ho all fellow star watchers :)

So just literally recieved my eq2 and `130p love it so far, my question is to do with the RA setting circle, the problem is i realise that it moves by hand so as you can locate a star and set the ra sett circle to the star cooridinates, my problem is that no matter how much i tighten the screw for the RA circle to set it, it still moves with the scope!!!! as in if i move the slow motion controls the circle rotates as i do i realise or i think i realise its not supposed to do that when its been locked?? is this normal?

There is a little grub screw located near the circle that you can loosen which allows the RA circle to rotate. I don't think you need to re-tighten it, but I might be wrong.

Too be honest, I tried to use the setting circles but could never get them to be accurate enough, now I just point my telescope manually. I find It quicker.

Hi Madharibo

I agree as above... I had the very same question when I received my 130P and decided that the grub screw fixing the RA was probably transportation lock rather than meant to be tightened, once you polar align, then move to the RA, declination of your target, then set the circle, leave the grub screw backed off to move to a new setting during your observation.....

Nick

There is a little grub screw located near the circle that you can loosen which allows the RA circle to rotate. I don't think you need to re-tighten it, but I might be wrong.

Too be honest, I tried to use the setting circles but could never get them to be accurate enough, now I just point my telescope manually. I find It quicker.

Cheers man, i tried tightening it with pliers all the way with no joy so i guess thats not gonna work lol

Hi Madharibo

I agree as above... I had the very same question when I received my 130P and decided that the grub screw fixing the RA was probably transportation lock rather than meant to be tightened, once you polar align, then move to the RA, declination of your target, then set the circle, leave the grub screw backed off to move to a new setting during your observation.....

Nick

no matter what i do with "grub screw" tight or loose the circle moves and as ive read before "i dont really see the point in that" i take it you mean the screw(does not have screw dirver bit just rough teeth) on the oppisite side of the locking nut yeah? slightle above the Ra circle?

Once you have set the RA for your object, you need to calculate the difference between the object your on , the one you want, and using the RA alignment reference, the white line ,turn the scope , this amount of hours difference, you only set the scale once,then any changes need to be calculated from your original reference RA

Agreed. At first I liked the idea of the setting circles because I could look up the location of an object in Stellarium and set my scope to point right at it... Only it never worked for me. There was always something slightly off. Star-hopping is much better (and more fun, in my opinion). Plus, as an added benefit, you get to learn the constellations and stars better.

It's really a lot easier just to star hop though. The setting circles aren't at all brilliant.

James

Totally agree - I never got to grips with them on my 130, so just star hopped and used Stellarium for guidance

+1 for TLAO and forget the setting cricles they will just frustrate the life out of you and certainly on an EQ2 they are really no better than ornaments.

Stellarium is a good call as is a good star atlas such as the Sky and Telescope Pocket one.

Star hop and you will quickly become familar with the constellations and the key guide stars to speed things up.

My ra and dec were out by 4 and 9 degrees, i only found this out by having to strip it down to try and cure the movement you have. I took the circle apart and placed 3 bits off tape between the 2 circles, you then need to point at a star you know and set the circle before tightning them up.

After i had done this finding thing was a lot better, not great but better. Find something near what you are looking for, set the circle to this object, then use the circle to move the last bit to your object.

Archived