Powermate

Kenza

This depends on what you want. I have the 2.5x and it is very useful, as it turns my C8 into an F/25 scope which matches the pixel size of my planetary camera. A 5x would give F/50 which is way too slow for most cameras. I gather from your other thread that you have an Equinox 120, which is F/7.5. A 5x turns that into an F/37.5 which is a bit long for most purposes (an 11mm EP you mention in the other thread produces 409x magnification which is a stretch even with my 8" scope. The 2.5x yields about 204.5x which makes more sense (and gets the scope to F/18.75, which matches the pixel size of quite a few planetary cameras).

The 5x is more useful in a really fast scope, like an F/4-F/5 Newtonian

I have the 2.5x power mate on a C11, the 2.5x & 5x are 1.25" fitting, the 2x and 4x are 2" fitting

Personally I would go with a 2.5x, I think 5x would be a real handful unless you have a very sturdy mount and you are very good at handling it

If you plan to do photography you may want to consider getting the Televue T ring which screws into power mate, its not expensive in Televue price terms :grin: (doesn't do anything a cheap one doesn't do but looks better, feels solid and looks like it gives a more streamlined and better fit on your camera)

As you're going to pick up an ES82 11mm in your other thread, why not consider and ES Focal Extendertoo? It's the same thing as a Powermate (ie 4 elements and not a barlow), but they cost less.

Russell

Ok, i admit I am tempted. But why is the Powermate much more expensive? Is there a big difference in quality between the two or not.

That Focal extender may be the Meade TeleXtender 2x in a new package. I have the Meade 2x and 3x and they are very good indeed

I suspect that probably is the case, although all the usual caveats apply about coatings and who gets what off the production line. All I do know is, the views through the ES 2x FE, combined with the 11 & 14mm were good enough to put me off buying individual EPs to cover the same focal lengths.

Russell

Archived