stargazine_ep39_banner.thumb.jpg.b87bddaa2aded94d2a3456c0589a82b9.jpg

Anyone else have trouble with scope hitting the mount during star alignment ?

Could do with a little help - I have a 200p with EQ5 pro mount on a pier. The last few attempts at polar aligning have proved a little frustrating, after setting up the polar alignment and confirming everything with the polar align software, when performing the star alignment the scope is hitting the pier and i have to abort the star alignment.

Just to confirm I have followed all the threads and youtube videos (astronomyshed) by the letter in order to setup for polar aligning, so can't see where i am going wrong. After polar aligning the tube is very low to the ground with the weight bar pointing in an upward direction and once the scope starts slewing during the star alignment it then hits the mount and i have to abort.

I have attached a pic of my setup ( old pic but shows the setup )

Any pointers would be great....

post-22546-0-66143100-1363266466_thumb.j

I had that yesterday, first time with my mount, and turning the tube around sorted out. Must have had it the wrong way as it kept getting the alignment stars below the horizon or in the wrong direction :)

I am probably wrong, as I cant work out the tilt you have on, but in this pic it does look slightly different http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16407

Im new to this as well but it does look like the scope is 180 deg out, if thats the cover on your mount for the polescope then the telescope should be pointing in that direction at start up. Hope this helps

Hi,

You need to return the scope and mount to the Home position (weights down and scope pointing towards polaris) before you attempt star alignment.

The mount makes the assumption that this is the position it is starting from before slewing to the first alignment star.

If, as it would seem you are doing, you leave the scope and mount in the position you had it for Polar alignment then the mount just assumes it is in the Home position and you end up with it slewing into the mount.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Thanks everyone....The prize goes to Lonestar70 ! I am doing exactly what you said, I've been leaving the scope in the position after polar aligning and not putting it back to home before doing the star alignment....

(The pic i posted was taken after completing my pier so had never been tilted/aligned it was just a ref to my setup)

Where about in the west of scotland are you Lonestar70? i'm Thornhill area Dumfries...

Hi Whistlebare,

Don't fret about it... a lot of us (including me) made the same mistakes when we first started.

I find it a lot easier to polar align the mount without the scope attached... the mount can get into some very wierd positions sometimes in order to get the polar circle in the right place and this would often mean the scope would hit the mount if it were attached... I have to set up every time, since I don't have a fixed pier... once polar aligned I return the mount to the Home position and fit the scope and balance it... returning to the home position again before starting star alignment.

You have the luxury of a fixed pier so once you have got it polar aligned you would only need to check it from time to time. (nice pier by the way).

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

I am a good bit further up the west coast to you... near Lochgilphead.... lovely dark skies though... WHEN IT STOPS RAINING that is... :grin:

Keep happy.

Best regards.

Hi Whistlebare,

Don't fret about it... a lot of us (including me) made the same mistakes when we first started.

I find it a lot easier to polar align the mount without the scope attached... the mount can get into some very wierd positions sometimes in order to get the polar circle in the right place and this would often mean the scope would hit the mount if it were attached... I have to set up every time, since I don't have a fixed pier... once polar aligned I return the mount to the Home position and fit the scope and balance it... returning to the home position again before starting star alignment.

You have the luxury of a fixed pier so once you have got it polar aligned you would only need to check it from time to time. (nice pier by the way).

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

I am a good bit further up the west coast to you... near Lochgilphead.... lovely dark skies though... WHEN IT STOPS RAINING that is... :grin:

Keep happy.

Best regards.

Thanks for this handy advice, much appreciated. This should help cut down the setup time before viewing !

Yes I too have nice dark skies, have had a terrible few months of viewing with the clouds, but been pretty good this last week....

All the best