SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polar alignment without line of sight of Polaris?

Just wondering If I am asking the impossible....?

I have a problem in so far as the best location outside my house which gives me a brilliant view to E-S-W for stargazing unfortunately does not give me a line of sight on Polaris to align to get the correct usage out of my EQ2 mount....

Ideally I want to mark my patio with the position and tripod for correct fixed setup...

Other than bearing alignment of polaris from North, to position my RA axis on the bearing, I can input my lattitude from know position however this is too coarse and I would need to adjust tripod legs t fne tune... -is my only real option trial and error based on the beahviour of the object as to how it reacts in RA either drifting down or up in the as to how I adjust my declination to counter which I then put back into the tripod to counter..?

Maybe Im over complicating but it could prevent whether I invest in a motor assembly for RA tracking?

Any help/guidance or blunt honesty would be appreciated

Thanks

Nick

Hello,

I understand its different as I have dual axis motors, although I'm assuming you compensate with slow motion controls anyhow?

Anyway, with my heq5 I plonk it down. Use a compass to find true north and nudge the mount around till it looks close enough. Thats that. Ready to go.

I know this isn't what you were expecting, but I never have an issue with it and theres no need to do anymore until I try deep sky imaging. I image the planets and the moon whenever I can and only use this method. Sure it drifts a bit at long focal lengths but surprisingly not much.

I'm an idiot of course you can do drift alignment without motors. Try that although I don't see the need for visual use personally.

dan

Is there a straight edge on the mount you could rest a laser against to fire it at a fixed point once you've aligned the mount accurately. I've done this with my EQ Platform. I've placed a brick in the corner of the drive with cable ties wrapped around it to form a cross. I then place the platform on the ground in roughly the right place and move it until the laser points at the cross on the brick. I therefore always have it in exactly the same place. I use it on my gravel drive so I cant really make permanent marks on the drive. Could you do something similar with your mount? You'd need to accurately set the mount up for the first time to align the lazer with what ever fixed point you choose.

Hello,

I understand its different as I have dual axis motors, although I'm assuming you compensate with slow motion controls anyhow?

Anyway, with my heq5 I plonk it down. Use a compass to find true north and nudge the mount around till it looks close enough. Thats that. Ready to go.

I know this isn't what you were expecting, but I never have an issue with it and theres no need to do anymore until I try deep sky imaging. I image the planets and the moon whenever I can and only use this method. Sure it drifts a bit at long focal lengths but surprisingly not much.

I'm an idiot of course you can do drift alignment without motors. Try that although I don't see the need for visual use personally.

dan

Exactly what I do. Simple, quick, effective.

Archived