Narrowband

Newbie from manchester

astro bob

Hi all, I'm rob from greater Manchester. Got myself a skywatcher 130p with eq 2, can't get enough of looking through it, if it isn't cloudy. So I figured I'd sign up on here and hopefully learn a lot more about astronomy.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bob,

Congrats on the scope.

Yeh I've had a good look at the moon, jupiter and Orion nebulae, it's awesome. Going to invest in a 6mm lense and a 2x Barlow soon

It may be wise to get a better barlow, but no need to get a 6mm EP, as you will achieve almost the same magnification if you combine the 10mm EP that came with the scope and a x2 barlow. (I am assuming you got 25mm & 10mm EPs with the scope)

Ian

Hi Bob, Welcome to SGL!

Please take a look at "turn left at orion" (book) as a good starting point for identifying where to look (if you haven't already)

I found it very useful as a starting point & it shows pics of what you should expect to see in the eyepiece (very useful)

Alan

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. I would second the idea of getting a good quality barlow as a cheap one will introduce its own aberrations. If you haven't done so already, I would recommend downloading a free piece of planetarium software called 'Stellarium' which will help you learn the constellations, where objects are and also help identify those which you discover along the way. It can be calibrated to produce the same night sky viewed from your observation site as well providing a whole host of features that will help improve your knowledge of the night sky. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I borrowed a friends 6mm lense and 2x Barlow and used them on the moon and the results were brilliant, but yeh I want to get the Barlow first. Yeh my scope came with a 25 wide angle and a 10mm, and I know not to buy the cheap ones :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I borrowed a friends 6mm lense and 2x Barlow and used them on the moon and the results were brilliant, but yeh I want to get the Barlow first. Yeh my scope came with a 25 wide angle and a 10mm, and I know not to buy the cheap ones :)

Archived