Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
sulaco

M109 first attempt

Hi Folks,

This is my first attempt at M109 taken on the 200p and EQ5 and guided with a QHY5v, it's 1hr 10mins in subs all 300s long with flats, darks and bias.

This was the last image taken before i realised that i cant calibirate properly in DSS with JPEGS as it doesn't recognise the 550D's RAW files.

feed back welcome.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Nice first attempt! :)

DSS supports the RAW files of the 550D for sure, i've been using DSS with my 550d for over 2 years. I always use the lastest beta verson though. the JPGs from the 550D are really horrible, i can't even imagine what canon was thinking when they installed that RAW to JPG converter on the camera, it's quite simply really bad.

Great first shot :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Paul779
      Hi all
      New to the astrophotography game. Looking to get into guiding now.
      Looking for an EQ3-2  with enhanced dual motor drives or synscan system would also consider barebones EQ3-2/EQ5 to upgrade, not minted right now can offer £150-200.
      Cheers
      Paul
    • By Brownthunder93
      Anyone have any idea where I can get a replacement counterweight bar/shaft for my EQ5 mount? 
    • By WiltsStarGazer
      Hi,
      having started with a 130P on an eq mount.I wanted something with more light gathering on a alt-azimuth mount. I didn't want to go down the Dob route although that would have been a lot easier and cheaper.🙄
      So I have now got a 200P on a Skytee on a Manfrotto tripod.
      My question is why do all the pictures I have seen of this set up have the scope side mount rather than the top mount.
      Is it just a question of weight if you also add counterweights under the top mount? I understand the recommended max weight is 10kg per mount although some places say 15kg.
      As it is a lot easier to mount the scope on the top mount than the side one (I nearly dropped it on the first attempt) and it seems counterintuitive to have the weight of the scope hanging off the side mount instead of sitting on top of the top one.
      Thanks.

• By Astrid
      My 200P just arrived and oh my God... I have been trying to wrap my head around the mount for 4 hours.
      The manual didn't really help so I decided to go on youtube, but again, I didn't find any good and detailed videos so I decided to ask here if there is any video or perhaps blog post that might help me set up the mount. 
      Thank you very much! 
      *by the way, is the EQ5 supposed to have slow motion cables? I only got 2 knobs (not cables) and I'm not sure if there is something missing or not... sorry, this is the first time I've used a serious equatorial mount or telescope. 
      Thank you very much!
    • By SteveBz
      Hi People,
      I have quite severe backlash, such that guiding assistant just gives up.  It seems to be about 11 secs in total, the one time GA came back with anything, but it's about 3-4 secs if I measure it by hand.  Here's some guiding.  Actually, it's worse when I'm dithering.

So, I tried measuring the backlash with by counting and it's about 3-4 secs.  If I used PHD2 guiding assistant, mostly it fails, or it comes back with a very big number, like 11,350 msecs.
      I tried entering this:

But then I got a see-saw mechanism, even when I dropped 8,000 to 3,000 it was the same.
      I've taken the motor off just now and looked at the grub/hex-screw mechanisms.  One hex-screw was loose, so I tightened it to hand tight and let the grub-screw off an eighth of a turn.  I'll look again this evening.
      I ran a three hour sequence of exposures on NGC6888 (with dither) and this is what I got on EVERY image.  Amazingly, they stacked nicely.

So last night I ran without dither and it was mostly OK.  What I want is full dither, but to do that I need to deal with the backlash.
      Here's a photo of the motor and gears, most of the backlash seems to come from the top gear (ie the 12-tooth gear and its neighbour).  I guess the rest comes from the worm-gear:

Does anyone have any suggestions? There doesn't seem to be a belt-mod for the EQ5 as far as I can see.  Maybe there are better Dec backlash compensation settings I could use.
      Thanks,
      Steve.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.