Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Double satellites just now?

Hi anyone see the two objects move through plough, may have been satellites, distance between two was half dubhe to merak ie top two plough stars? Couldn't Id on skysafari? Location gatwick area time 9.00 to 9.01pm. They moved same direction and speed - strange site?! Direction was nne between top two stars plough mentioned above Cheers Jamie

Yes, they were Noss 3-4 (A) and ©, launched by an Atlas rocket from Cape Canaveral back in 2007. They seemed really bright tonight - I've not seen them so bright before.

cheers :) they were odd sight never seen a pair like that in tamden - and I literally was out for 10secs checking sky and happened to notice by chance - meant to mention saw naked eye they were really bright - sharp/bright as dubhe

I'd just been trying out a replacement motor on my GPDX mount and, to kill two birds with one stone, also trying out a crazy 3.2mm eyepiece on jupiter. I was just packing up when out of the corner of my eye I saw rather too many bright stars up at the western end of UMaj. You're right, they were as bright as the pointer stars. I checked my watch, and then looked on Heavens-Above to check what they were.

Archived