Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Stargazer33

Quick Moon Shots whilst Comet Hunting.

Just thought I would post these single frame shots of the Moon with Earthshine.

I took them whilst I was waiting to see if I could catch a glimps of C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS), but no luck!

Taken with a Canon 1100D on a Slick 88 camera tripod.

Settings: 70mm & 210mm focal lengths, F/4, 2/5", 400 ISO.

post-21511-0-97013300-1363205634_thumb.jpost-21511-0-21607600-1363205648_thumb.j

I believe the comet should have been directly below the Moon by about 5-7 degs, but there was some cloud along the horizon with haze above that, which I think is where the comet was! :angry:

The Moon did look gorgeous tonight. Almost made up for not finding the comet :(

James

Looking at other peoples pictures of the comet from tonight, I went back and had another look at the first photo above and can just make the comet out in the lower right hand corner. I had to play around with the levels but it is there, just!

Just to prove it:post-21511-0-67726900-1363217350_thumb.jpost-21511-0-89850800-1363217358_thumb.j

I know, it's really weak! :undecided: And I didn't see it live. So I will have to try again tomorrow. If the weather stays clear. emo30.gif

Edited by southerndiver357

You sure have! Would have been nice to have actually seen it in the flesh so-to-speak! Maybe another night. :grin: