SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Upgrading Eyepieces for 200p

Russty

Hi all,

Having recently bought a 200p I was wondering what thoughts people had on upgrading eyepieces as I am a relative beginner to astronomy. I bought a Revelation Eyepiece kit for my MAK 127 last year and this will do fine for the time being until my bank balance recovers and I get a bit more familiar with the scope, but where do I go from there? I quite like the idea of 2" EPs so is it worth saving up and investing in Tele Vues or similar or would that be overkill for the 200p, I used a quote before, like putting a Ferrari Dino V12 in a 2CV (no offence meant to 2CV owners) no point in spending a large amount of money when I wont see any benefits because of the limitations of the scope.

So any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Oh and while we are on the subject I also bought an Antares 2X Barlow for the MAK, so any thoughts on upgrading that would also be appreciated.

Cheers Russ..................

The 200P is a fast scope, so getting good quality EPs helps quite a bit. They need not be TV, as other manufacturers produce some first-class kit, nowadays. Something like a 30mm ultra-wide angle should give excellent views. This could be the redoubtable Nagler 31T5 (a.k.a. Panzerfaust or Terminagler), but the Explore Scientific 30 82 deg has a very good press, as have the 28mm Nirvana (same as William Optics, apparently), and the 30mm Meade UWA.

I personally think the 30mm ultra wide EP is better suited to 12"+ that have longer focal lengths.

In the 1200mm focal lengths (the 200p and 250px) I'd recommend the 24mm ultra wides. These then give the same 50x that a 30mm ultra wide gives in the 12" + reflectors.

30mm or rather 40x, in my opinion, is a little too low to get good detail whereas the 24mm @ 50x is much improved and will give slightly darker sky in the view.

My 2 pennies worth. I do intend to get a 30mm ultra wide, but it'll be the last one I get as I have a 24mm already.

Not quite sure I agree with this. I've seen many people sell "lifelong" eyepieces because they don't fit well with a new scope. I myself may well be one of them soon. Much as it pains me, I may well be selling one of my all time favourites, as it won't work as well with my new scope when it's finished.

Buying high quality is a great idea as you want the best views you can get, but you may find yourself changing a few from time to time.

Hmm yes, no, maybe..... I am following the best you can afford policy and what I have may not be perfect for every scope I (hope to) own in the future but there are some good work horse FL's that suite almost any scope.

The faster scopes need better EP's to work to their best and while you don't have to spend TV money it's not a bad idea to aim for the better lenses on the market.

Ps the TV plossls don't break the bank and are top notch. If you want wide field SW Nirvana's, ES, Meade, Celestron Luminos and others offer good quality lenses that aren't crazy money.

Swamp Thing.... What ya building? sounds exciting! :grin:

You have bought a nice scope and it would benefit from better quality eyepieces because it is a faster scope. One of my scopes are F10 and even though I have some of the best eyepieces on the market they are really wasted on it, not that I mind that.

I would suggest you try to go for some Ex Sc eyepieces or some Meade series 5000 eyepieces, there are many to choose from in these two brands alone. They both perform well in faster scopes. If you really want high quality then look at Pentax and Televue but be warned to price tags hurt the pocket.

Alan

Thank you all for your help, I like the look and reviews of some of the Mead 5000s but I think I might go for some Ex Sc as they do look good value for money and have equally good reviews. Maybe I can get some TVs when the mortgage is payed off :icon_neutral: .

I suggest for the 200P that ep's in the range 8mm to 32mm are best, 2" is OK for your low power and the Explore Scientific are good. Don't forget that good quality ep's will last you a lifetime so if you want to go for TV then go for it. TV's are for life, not just for Christmas!

First off, always worth putting big powerful V8 engines in little light cars. It really gets up people's noses that have spent £1/2m on a hyper car, for you to smoke them from the lights in an old ford :evil6:

Don't think for a moment the opposite applies for scopes either. TV eyepieces make fast scopes perform really well. In fact, they probably make the most sense in fast newts than any other type of scope.

Indeed.

Archived