Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Simms

Iceland and dark skies!

Hi guys, just a quick check in from the land of fire & ice! Having a brilliant time - have seen the aurora on 3 nights out of four - absolutely amazing, especially the aurora storm we had on our 2nd night. Have some great shots to post upon my return, my fave being Orion/Hydes/Pleiades shot through a veil of colour. attach a photo of the screen from my camera as a taster. catch you all soon. post-10509-136316637645_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Looks like you guys are have an absolutely fabulous time, however i feel you traveled all that way for the ice and snow for no reason. Its been snowing in basildon!!

ok we might not have the 'Northern Lights' but we do have a heck of a lot of 'Street Lights'

• Like 2

omg.....great stuff....have a safe trip...

I'm do jelous, I've wanted to go to Iceland for many years, not only for astro but because I have a love for volcanoes and from what I've seen in media the landscape looks Awsome - your pic looks great and can't wait to see more.

I WANNA GO!!!

Mark, I'm so jealous ... I've just spent 10 minutes trying to word this reply without swearing !

you .......

Have a good time mate

Too tired to talk much now - but lets just say it was pretty incredible - getting to see the Aurora on 4 separate occasions. Enjoy the attachment.

post-10509-0-99339100-1363541845_thumb.j

• Like 4

Fantastic pics, what an experience, makes Essex look pretty dull :)

Cheers guys. To give you some impressions on truely dark skies. It was incredible, for example, in the image above we could not see the lake/icebergs when we initially arrived at the site - so `dark` was the actual area, once the aurora kicked in it did give enough glow to light up the ground a tiny bit. However, I would say that Dengie isn't that far off in terms of sky darkness (the farmtrack site, not the one near Bradwell) - the milky way was more pronounced and you can see a few more stars in certain constellations, but considering Dengie is in Essex, it's actually very very good.

Saying that, I have pinged off a text to the farmer today asking about keys to the paved area. Will let you know outcome.

• Like 1

Oddly enought RE the darkenss of Dengie,

S@N came though on friday and it has a detailed light pollution map of the uk, and i was just saying to heather that according the maps dengie is about as dark as the uk gets

Yaaaaaay how much do we owe you /him and can the key make holes through the clouds :D

• Like 1

I went to Iceland for new year, no joy unfortunately :-(. Had a fantastic time but no northen lights................

Looks like you timed it perfectly

• Like 1

Colan - the trip was planned months in advance to coincide with a solar maximum and a new moon - the weather was the unknown variable but we struck gold!

I will defo go again. But will make sure I plan for Northen lights viewing rather than thefireworks for new years eve :-)

Beautiful image!

I will go there on holiday when the kids have grown up.

My dad was posted in Iceland during the war and used to tell us tales of the northern lights and had a couple of B&W pics , don't know what happened to them.

Dave

Just realised I never posted that shot I took off the back of my camera..

Here's the final version.

post-10509-0-70728000-1372502495_thumb.j

Edited by Simms

And the mighty JPG compression algorithm they use on this forum has destroyed any quality!! I give up!

Dont worry Mark, we get the picture !