Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

xbox cam driver???

concal

I am trying to use a xbox cam as a guide camera through my finder scope. But PHD wont pick up the camera?? The camera works fine in ichat..

I am using a macbook by the way. Do I need to install a driver?

Was not sure if I have posted this in the correct place...

Hope someone can help..... :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to use a xbox cam as a guide camera through my finder scope. But PHD wont pick up the camera?? The camera works fine in ichat..

I am using a macbook by the way. Do I need to install a driver?

Was not sure if I have posted this in the correct place...

Hope someone can help..... :-)

Hi concal, the Mac can see the XBOX camera out of the box without additional drivers, but PHD Guiding seems to work with those generic webcams only on Windows, not on Mac OS X (so Dai150PL was right :) ) .

I don't do guiding so I can't suggest any alternative, but if your Mac has a good amount of RAM memory (at least 2 GB or more), it is very handy to have a virtual machine (or Parallels) running Windows XP into a small window of your OS X desktop (or even Windows XP or 7 properly installed on a secondary HDD partition or on an external HDD, but most people don't like the idea of natively running Windows on their Mac).

This way you can also take advantage of all the other astro tools available for Windows (i.e. the vast majority of available astro software).

Hope that helps.

Archived