SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

YES! Got it... L4 Panstarrs

post-17980-0-31093800-1363121416_thumb.j

Comet L4 Panstarrs, from Eglwysilan Common above Senghenydd, near Caerphilly, South Wales.

Nikon D3000, f5.6, ISO 800, 55mm, 12/03/12, 19:13pm

Difficult to see in the haze near the horizon - not a naked-eye object, but the 25x100 bins showed it clearly. And it was -2 up there... For once the clouds behaved!

Hopefully the first of many!!

Congratulations on capturing it.

Thank you!

Thats a great capture you must be chuffed:)

I am!! Went up with my daughter, and it was COLD - and windy. But right at the end, just before the moon went down, there it was!

We were so pleased; and the moon just adds to the scene.

If we get better opportunites - great; but if not - well, we did it!

Congratulations. I live in Senghenydd and you saw it from the very place that my son and I were going to have a bash at seeing it from last night. Unfortunately he didn't finish work until 7pm :huh: so we plan on going up to Eglwysilan Common tonight instead. Are the two radio masts in your photo the ones situated on the western edge of Mynydd Meio? If so I'm guessing that you observed it from somewhere in the vicinity of the old Windsor Colliery coal tips?

Congratulations. I live in Senghenydd and you saw it from the very place that my son and I were going to have a bash at seeing it from last night. Unfortunately he didn't finish work until 7pm :huh: so we plan on going up to Eglwysilan Common tonight instead. Are the two radio masts in your photo the ones situated on the western edge of Mynydd Meio? If so I'm guessing that you observed it from somewhere in the vicinity of the old Windsor Colliery coal tips?

We went up past the cattle grid, and on the way to Nelson - the ref on google maps is: https://maps.google.com/?ll=51.62581,-3.277037&z=16

It's not Mynydd Meio, it's somewhere in Glyncoch direction.

The sun dropped below the wind farm - sorry, I don't know it's name! We parked on one of the tracks, which conveniently face west.

We plan to go up again tonight, about 7pm, weather permitting!

We went up past the cattle grid, and on the way to Nelson - the ref on google maps is: https://maps.google....,-3.277037&z=16

It's not Mynydd Meio, it's somewhere in Glyncoch direction.

The sun dropped below the wind farm - sorry, I don't know it's name! We parked on one of the tracks, which conveniently face west.

We plan to go up again tonight, about 7pm, weather permitting!

I realised after posting that I'd got my bearings completely wrong so thanks for the location. We might see you up there tonight if the weather's good.

Good view again tonight from Eglwysilan Common - 2 nights on the trot!

The clouds were in the way when we arrived, but moved on fairly quickly, and came back just as we were leaving...

post-17980-0-18173400-1363208639_thumb.j post-17980-0-05513200-1363208653_thumb.j post-17980-0-18225300-1363208670_thumb.j

Also nice to meet 'Moffer' & family...

some crackin' photos on here ! Been struggling though - @pgwenlan what exposure etc did you use ? I've got a dslr and tripod - looks like I'm probably best using the 18-55mm kit lens...

A very enjoyable hour on Eglwysilan Common. Thanks Peter, nice to meet you.

My 11 year old grandaughter really enjoyed seeing panstarrs, and her first views of jupiter and the orion neb. She was the only one who managed to see the comet with the naked eye - that's a young pair of eyes for you.

Archived