Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

Blurred Image

Comet or flop?

How confident are you of actually seeing this comet due over the Northern hemisphere this week and through March?

Will it live up to its billing as one of the great sights or will it be another 'faint fuzzy' thing? :grin:

N.

This confident!

post-11876-136311361161_thumb.jpg

You know, the usual when something interesting is "visible" ........

Hmmm, the reports keep changing. In December it was forecast to be the 'must see' event of 2013 (that now seems to be the domain of November's comet). Then it changed to fairly significant event and now the professional astronomers are not sure. At one stage it wad going to visible with the Mark 1 eyeball and was going to rival the full moon in terms of brightness.

:huh:

From an observing perspective I have clear skies due tomorrow (currently) and patchy cloud over the weekend.

Fingers crossed it does blow our socks off! :grin:

N.

Clouds have beaten me thus far, but I'm not giving up just yet.

James

It is there seen it tonight the moon was a help to guide me to it

its in a bright sky so I needed bins to see it

Steve

there's plenty of time as with most comets. it may not be a Hale Bopp but it looks a lot brighter than other recent ones. I'll be happy just to see another comet, I love 'em even if they are dim. they are special in the best sense of the word.

Just got back from work (which was just off the Cornish coast) so had a clear westerly view but with some patchy cloud on the horizon.

Definately no naked eye comet.

The boats binos are pretty pathetic and there was also a pretty good swell rolling in so it was tricky trying to stay focused on one part of the sky so no luck with the binos either... I tried!

Saw it this evening in twilight from the top of the Col de Perty (SE France) with a good western horizon. Easy in bins and the Pronto. Our observatories don't see low enough in the west so we had a spin out by car.

Olly

looking at this it seems pretty good to me but you need a decent western horizon and clear skies right down.

This was my horizon tonight and I thought it was going to be a good one :(

Winterhill seen from the Owd Betts Norden.

post-28541-0-82302700-1363122526_thumb.j

Jim

95% cloud cover here, and the 5% was in totally the wrong direction :sad:

Oh well, there will be other chances.

This was my horizon tonight and I thought it was going to be a good one :(

Winterhill seen from the Owd Betts Norden.

post-28541-0-82302700-1363122526_thumb.j

Jim

Nice, worth a look in itself

Barry

Hmmm, the reports keep changing. In December it was forecast to be the 'must see' event of 2013 (that now seems to be the domain of November's comet). Then it changed to fairly significant event and now the professional astronomers are not sure. At one stage it wad going to visible with the Mark 1 eyeball and was going to rival the full moon in terms of brightness.

:huh:

From an observing perspective I have clear skies due tomorrow (currently) and patchy cloud over the weekend.

Fingers crossed it does blow our socks off! :grin:

N.

I think ISON in Nov was going to be the naked eye / bright as the moon comet.

I love 'em even if they are dim. they are special in the best sense of the word.

I've seen a quote like that before, but in another and subtly different scenario! :grin:

I think ISON in Nov was going to be the naked eye / bright as the moon comet.

OK, I only learnt about the November thingy today. Just so I'm clear on this - it is due THIS November, or has it already happened and caught me off guard again?

N.

OK, I only learnt about the November thingy today. Just so I'm clear on this - it is due THIS November, or has it already happened and caught me off guard again?

N.

ISON is coming this November and will be around for a few months. If you find it on twitter it gives you loads of useless information but it also gives good links to updates.