SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

12mm Nagler, what do you think?

Daniel-K

Hi all again :D i have been offered a 12mm Nagler at a decent price and thought i would consult with other members to see what there views are. using it my 10inch F4.7 gives me x100 Mag. currently i have the 24 pan and the 8mm Delos so it would fit a nice gap in the FL

Dan

im a nuisance once i get something into my head the wife goes away at the end of the month god knows what shes going to come back too :D all the ornaments on the fire place will have been replaced with TV EPS

Of the T4 Naglers (I have the lot) it is my least used, but it is a killer planetary nebula hunter for me. Comfortable to use, nice and sharp, sufficient eye relief for me (with me glasses). The 22T4 gets used most (given my scope is F/10 that is close to the exit pupil of the 12T4 on your scope), very closely followed by the 17T4 (119x in my scope, a very useful magnification). One thing I like to do is to show the entire moon at 119x to kids (of all ages). The combination of great magnification and massive FOV is amazing. You could do exactly the same with the 12T4 in your scope.

All T4 Naglers are great. Go for it!

The 12 T4 was one I considered before going for Pentax. I expect you will get a lot use out of it but it you get the bug for the extra aFOV, you might want to trade your Pan for a 20 or 22mm Nagler :evil:

i better get them in quick Jen has just come in and her sister has got a new car and guess who wants a newer car :rolleyes: than her sister.... tuff she will have to wait lol saying that though we do need a new car, which can wait for summer shutdown at work. but i also need Green TV's.why dont they come with warnings? loo

I must admit I keep wavering in my decision to sell my 13mm Ethos and (with a bit more saving) buying a 12mm and 17mm T4. Something keeps telling me to do it but I keep 'bottling it'. I feel that with my 26mm Nagler the 17mm T4 and a 12mm T4, I'd have a brilliant eyepiece set for my big dob (1840mm focal length so 71x, 108x and 153x). That said, 71x and 142x is not so bad either and I do have a few other eyepieces to fall back on (12.5mm BGO, 10mm Radian, 8mm Radian etc). I wish clear skies would come back - I am sick of thinking about kit and not using it!

The 12 T4 was one I considered before going for Pentax. I expect you will get a lot use out of it but it you get the bug for the extra aFOV, you might want to trade your Pan for a 20 or 22mm Nagler :evil:

Thats what happened to me - it started with Plossls, moved to Panoptics, progressed to Naglers and then you take a look through an Ethos........

At least TV have been decent enough to bring in the Delos so you can have most of the Ethos virtues without such a large overdraft.

I must admit I keep wavering in my decision to sell my 13mm Ethos and (with a bit more saving) buying a 12mm and 17mm T4. Something keeps telling me to do it but I keep 'bottling it'. I feel that with my 26mm Nagler the 17mm T4 and a 12mm T4, I'd have a brilliant eyepiece set for my big dob (1840mm focal length so 71x, 108x and 153x). That said, 71x and 142x is not so bad either and I do have a few other eyepieces to fall back on (12.5mm BGO, 10mm Radian, 8mm Radian etc). I wish clear skies would come back - I am sick of thinking about kit and not using it!

Look at my sig. I have them both. They are miracles of engineering and wonderful to use.

Thats what happened to me - it started with Plossls, moved to Panoptics, progressed to Naglers and then you take a look through an Ethos........

At least TV have been decent enough to bring in the Delos so you can have most of the Ethos virtues without such a large overdraft.

Oh dear, sounds like I'm in trouble then, as I have 2 plossls and a radian!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Oh dear, sounds like I'm in trouble then, as I have 2 plossls and a radian!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, you are :p

I'm heading that way though - currently in process of replacing eyepieces once I've got my HEQ-5 with a range of Vixen LV / NLVs and TeleVue Plössls :)

I sometimes think I might try the XW14 (or Delos 14) to replace the 12T4. I do very much like the XWs, and the extra eye relief is handy. Furthermore, 14 to 10 mm is a slightly more natural step than 12 to 10. The gap 17-12 is a bit large. Having said that, the 12T4 is so good that I might just get a 14 and keep the 12T4 as well.

You only have too many EPs when the case no longer fits through a door ;):D

Micheal,

You only have too many EPs when the case no longer fits through a door ;):D

This is the exact reason the thread is here, I find 14mm 13mm 12mm 11mm 10mm etc, etc. rather stupid. So I am having a cull, I think the 11mm could be next but I have just cut out a hole for it in my new case, where it sits with the 9mm, 8mm 7mm 6mm etc, which is almost as stupid. The lower end do seem to all get used though.

I have three cases and only two hands.

Alan.

Archived