What DSO's to shoot?

badgerchap

Alright guys, could I please have a few suggestions?

I've imaged an easy few over the winter. Not as many as I'd like but then the weather's been a bit of a removed word so there we go.

I managed M42, M31, Flame & Horsehead, M51 and Leo Triplet.

Glad to have got these few, and will be going back to them again for more / new data.

But on my list for the future, all I have is M13 for now. Looking at my kit in sig (I'm hoping to upgrade my camera soon, but the 10D will have to do for now), does anyone have any realistic suggestions as to what I could go for? I'd lke something with some nice detail, but nothing too heavy on the Ha as I haven't modded yet!

Any and all suggestions welcome, and thanks for looking.

Guy

M97 the Owl nebula is small but nice. M101 is a nice spiral galaxy, and M95 a nice barred spiral. M103, M44 and M67 are nice open clusters. M92, M53, M2, M3 and M5 globular clusters. M45 the Pleiades is a good one to catch with the nebulosity around the stars. All are a reasonable size on a DSLR sensor.

I've already missed some of the objects I wanted to image due to the bad weather :( I guess there's plenty all year round but when-oh-when are we going to get any clear night skies?! Actually it was clear for a couple of hours last night here but the strong NE wind stopped me from imaging - PHD just couldn't hold onto a star :( And that's on a solid concrete mount too but I think it was probably the NEQ6 or scope mounting that couldn't cope. Both the site and the obsy are wide open to winds in the eastern and southern quadrants. I guess I could do with wind breaks as the obsy is open down to horizontal in those directions so that I can image low altitude objects. (I think I can hear dome users laughing :D) But this is the first time since building the obsy that the sky's been clear and the wind has been so strong and gusty though. I think in future when there's a very strong wind it would be better if I didn't risk opening the roof! I guess I was too desperate to use that clear sky last night - with hindsight it was not very sensible :(

I've already missed some of the objects I wanted to image due to the bad weather :( I guess there's plenty all year round but when-oh-when are we going to get any clear night skies?! Actually it was clear for a couple of hours last night here but the strong NE wind stopped me from imaging - PHD just couldn't hold onto a star :( And that's on a solid concrete mount too but I think it was probably the NEQ6 or scope mounting that couldn't cope. Both the site and the obsy are wide open to winds in the eastern and southern quadrants. I guess I could do with wind breaks as the obsy is open down to horizontal in those directions so that I can image low altitude objects. (I think I can hear dome users laughing :D) But this is the first time since building the obsy that the sky's been clear and the wind has been so strong and gusty though. I think in future when there's a very strong wind it would be better if I didn't risk opening the roof! I guess I was too desperate to use that clear sky last night - with hindsight it was not very sensible :(

Pretty blowy here too but I had to do something, chucked the camera on the mount and did a bit of practice with wide field. Didn't get anything special and it was quite a bit colder than very, but all in all, an enjoyable night :)

What I didn't mention is that I'm restricted to a southerly view - probably about 160o worth :/ Can only just see Polaris to start polar alignment from my site!

Have started having a pop at Markarian's chain, but quel supris the clouds have just rolled in :/

Archived