Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sods law, clear skies but just to cold

scoobee

Just spent an hour or so outside and had to retire due to being so cold.

But on the plus side the seeing was as good the best I have seen, and as for Jupiter is was looking good, enough to make several AVI's now fingers crossed I can do it justice in my imaging skills (lack off).

Maybe I shall be better prepared and stay the distance next time, a lesson learnt.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck.

It's perishing cold here, there's a howling wind blowing, and although I saw Jupiter it was quite brief and dissapeared again, as I did indoors, where it's not much better due to the central heating having broken down. :embarrassed: Waiting for the BG man tomorrow.

I tried looking for comet Panstarrs from a hill. I gave up after 15 minutes because of the biting cold wind. The car thermometer was reading -3 deg C but the windchill was given as something like -10 on the news.

I am going to give it a couple more days before I start to look for panstarrs and to buy a hot water bottle :grin:

Good luck.

It's perishing cold here, there's a howling wind blowing, and although I saw Jupiter it was quite brief and dissapeared again, as I did indoors, where it's not much better due to the central heating having broken down. :embarrassed: Waiting for the BG man tomorrow.

OUCH! thats sure is a double whammy

I couldn't agree more it is absolutely freezing cold, I managed 2 hours with base layers on.

Great seeing though everything was as clear as a bell :laugh:

I have left the scope set up in the garage in case I can get a glimpse of Saturn in the morning, you never know your luck :smiley:

I couldn't agree more it is absolutely freezing cold, I managed 2 hours with base layers on.

Great seeing though everything was as clear as a bell :laugh:

I have left the scope set up in the garage in case I can get a glimpse of Saturn in the morning, you never know your luck :smiley:

As for saturn I have put my scope up in the loft (not with the mount) hoping to nip out for a viewing, here comes the snag best time for me is 0330hrs

Yeah I have to admit it is early but ive been waking up for some reason- its still darkish at 5:30 :smiley:

Just going to have to bite the bullet, the fact I just being lazy as my flat faces due south i can just nip out try and image it then back to bed, is that a plan or not?!

I was very relieved to see this thread.

I was a bit worried that I would log on tonight and find lots of comments about what a wonderful clear night it had been, and only -3, and that this was the sort of thing I was going to have to get used to if I was to enjoy this new hobby...

I decided to do my observing from inside tonight. I can confirm that the view through a window is terrible, compared to the view from outside. But it was good enough for me to try a few things and practice finding my way around the sky...

It was snowing all night here. However even if it had not been i would have given it a wide. After many years of fishing in all weeathers and know full well the effects of wind chill. Fair results for lasting 15 minutes, I woulndt have got out of the car. Hehe

Managed 4 hours, with some very warm clothing, before the pain was too much to bear.

Worth it though.

I shall tip my hat to you sir, four hours?! trust me when you warm up you shall be pleased you did it.

I am going to give it a couple more days before I start to look for panstarrs and to buy a hot water bottle :grin:

Beware of the upcoming weather! After Thurs this week it's going to go downhill with a series of low pressure systems. At least a week's worth or more. It's probably best to try and see PANSTARRS either today or tomorrow as the next chance could be up to 7 to 10 days away!

Beware of the upcoming weather! After Thurs this week it's going to go downhill with a series of low pressure systems. At least a week's worth or more. It's probably best to try and see PANSTARRS either today or tomorrow as the next chance could be up to 7 to 10 days away!

Thanks for the tip, looks like I shall be going out tonight

First night out with my new Lyra Optics F11/102 scope & EQ5 mount.

For some strange reason the weatherman predicted a break in the cloud around 6.30pm so I kept an eye out and put the scope in the garage to cool down.

The cloud cleared right on time & I didn’t have time to do the alignment on Polaris so I just tried to line up the scope on Jupiter with the finderscope instead. Well impressed with the Skywatcher 9 x 50 finderscope.

I was out there for about 30 minutes, should have set up where it was more sheltered, but the alignment between the finderscope & telescope was good enough for me to get a good look at Jupiter.

It started to cloud over so I packed up, was battling against streaming eyes with the cold & gusts of wind shaking the scope.

The view was worth it though, despite the cold & I got to try out my eyepieces, only have 9mm, 25mm & 32mm with a 15mm on order.

Need some long control cables for the mount.

Then another session should help with the learning curve.

Thanks for all your help on here, much appreciated.

Archived