Warm footwear

I recently read in a photography magazine article that a landscape photographer wears a pair of insulated overboots to keep his feet warm. Given that standing around outside with the telescope can result in cold feet I wondered if anyone had experience of using these? I have searched on the Internet but can only find such things in the US or Canada. You can get mountaineering boots in the UK but they seem very expensive; in the order of £200. Just wondered if anyone knows of a UK source for insulated overboots or what you wear to keep you feet warm on cold frosty nights. :smiley:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a hill walker as well, I have a stout pair of boots that I also use outside when I am with my scope. I have a thick pair of merino wool socks and thermal insoles. These two things combined do me ok.

Hiya,

I wear TNF Chilkats. They are toasty! I got them very cheap as I work in a camping/outdoors shop! They retail at £95, but you could pick them up for less. TNF also do a nuptse bootie which are about 60 quid maybe and are down-filled! :grin:

Best thing I ever bought for cold days was a pair of "UGG" boots - just put them on tonight with no socks, and couldnt even feel the cold. Not -overly- waterproof but fine if your on a patio all night or just standing in a field (although I have walked through thick snow and whilst they get wet on the outside, your feet dont get cold)

Can usually pick up a pair of mens ones for about £60-£80 on eBay.

Most people concentrate on wrapping their feet with 50 layers and yet leave their legs with a single layer of denim and wonder why their feet still get cold.

Your extremities are the first to go, no matter how well they're wrapped. Best thing i ever did was to buy some winter fleece lined walking trousers, my feet have never been cold since.

Most people concentrate on wrapping their feet with 50 layers and yet leave their legs with a single layer of denim and wonder why their feet still get cold.

Your extremities are the first to go, no matter how well they're wrapped. Best thing i ever did was to buy some winter fleece lined walking trousers, my feet have never been cold since.

This is the key.

I am very susceptible to cold weather so In winter I wear polartec fleece trousers under joggers, a 200weight baselayer under a down jacket, a merino buff on my neck and ears, a polartec hat and some sealskinz outdoor sports mittens. I don't feel the cold at all!

I am of the same school of thought. I wear fleece lined ski trousers and ski socks inside a pair of North Face walking shoes. The ski trouser webbing makes a nice seal with the shoe resulting in warm feet.

I recently read in a photography magazine article that a landscape photographer wears a pair of insulated overboots to keep his feet warm. Given that standing around outside with the telescope can result in cold feet I wondered if anyone had experience of using these? I have searched on the Internet but can only find such things in the US or Canada. You can get mountaineering boots in the UK but they seem very expensive; in the order of £200. Just wondered if anyone knows of a UK source for insulated overboots or what you wear to keep you feet warm on cold frosty nights. :smiley:

As a hillwalker and snowboarder and also living in the Highland's I know all about cold feet! A big mistake a lot of people make is putting on multiple pairs of socks and stuffing them into boots that are then tight due to the thickness of layers, this restricts circulation and your feet get real cold real fast. What I usually do is put a thin pair of trainer socks under a decent pair of woollen walking socks and with a cheap pair of leather Hi-tec boots my feet are always warm and dry, i did use my Salomon goretex mountain boots but find the way cheaper Hi-tec's better actually. Stick a loose set of long johns on under a pair of cargo pants and im set for the night. It's all about loose layers!!

As we say in Scotland " There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!" :clouds2:

have to agree with the above. I do a lot of hiking and snowboarding, and its important that the things you wear, insulate and whisk away moisture. Even when standing still, if your feet get warm, you'll sweat, and once that starts, you are going to be cold in no time!

A bit of insulation while sitting or standing goes a long way as well. the above mentioned campingmatts and stuff are great, since they will insulate you from the ground, which will sap your heat away quickly.

Another option:

SkeeTex

Thing is there is probably no astronomy or photography boot, you have to locate alternative hobbies, usually fishing/angling comes close as they also will spend extended periods without much movement to generate heat.

Skee Tex also do a 2 piece layer thermal set that looks very good for around £24 if I recall.

As I do a lot of fell/mountain walking I wear a pair of North face mountaineering boots they were well expensive & my feet STILL get cold (suppose with astro your not moving much) I recommend thick socks & lots of them :grin:

Steve

Archived