SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

much difference in 10" dobs

is there a lot of difference in all the model 10" dobsonians out there ,

skywatcher 250 px

skywatcher 250 flex tube

meade light bridge

optically i mean, although i have heard the flex tube isn't lighter than the standard 250 from skywatcher is the meade any lighter..

I'd stick with Skywatcher. I've owned a Lightbridge (12") and the 8" and 10" Skywatcher dobs. The Meade was OK but needed quite a lot of mods to get it really useful. Optically the Skywatcher 250PX and the Flextube 250 are the same as each other I believe.

The Flextube is actually heavier than the solid tube !

The Flextube is actually heavier than the solid tube !

ah so it is true, is it a noticeable difference as the flex tube is handy for storage now we've had a new sofa it creates a corner space i could store the flex tube and shrink it behind the sofa would be brilliant if it did fit, but if it's a lot heavier it might be worth sacrificing it sticking out the top lol, slightly lighter will suit my ankle as well as it wont be right ever by the looks of it..

It's only a bit heavier but I think many folks would guess it might be lighter because of the truss design. The ability of the tube to quickly be reduced in length is a good point with the Flextubes and will help with storage in some situations. The Lightbridge can be taken to pieces and will store in a smaller space but the disassembly / assembly process is much more protracted.

I considered the Flextube before opting for the lightbridge , the main reason being the lightbridge separates into 4 pieces (base, struts, top tube, bottom tube) which individually are smaller and lighter than either of the two parts the flextube separates into.

I agree that the lightbridge needs some mods to make it perfect but once this is done you have a great scope thats easier to transport.

For me this was a key factor as I was after a 16inch, but either scope , flex or LB will serve you well,

cheers

Orion optics make a 10 inch as well and I think you have an option to put some special coating on them to make them awesome

orion are a little rare on the second hand market which is all i can afford at the moment although i'm not adverse to saving as i have telescopes to view..is this from orion uk or is this only available from the states?

I think Orion UK offer the same as the states at grossly overpriced UK rates :)

I can't say for sure what differences the coatings make only that they charge quite alot more for them. I'd expect it's a marginal increase in light transmission. I doubt it's anything funky like coma reduction etc.

orion are a little rare on the second hand market which is all i can afford at the moment although i'm not adverse to saving as i have telescopes to view..is this from orion uk or is this only available from the states?

The Orion (USA) dobs use the same optics as the Skywatchers do, made by the same manufacturer. It's Orion Optics (UK) that use the Hilux coatings and will give you a certificate of your mirrors accuracy. As used buys the Orion Optics scopes can be outstanding value - I manged to find a 12" F/5.3 Orion Optics tube with top grade optics for just £250 on the used market !. The mirrors alone would cost £900 to buy new.

If you start looking around further you will see brands such as TS (Telescope Services), Zhumell, Revelation, GSO etc. These all use the same mirrors / mirror cells as the Meade Lightbridges - made by GSO as it happens.

I think Orion UK offer the same as the states at grossly overpriced UK rates :)

I can't say for sure what differences the coatings make only that they charge quite alot more for them. I'd expect it's a marginal increase in light transmission. I doubt it's anything funky like coma reduction etc.

No, Orion UK make their own optics and they are a step up, sometimes a large one depending what you specifiy, from the chinese scopes.

All newtonians have coma - extending the focal ratio reduces it but the all have it. It's a property of the optical design.

Orion Optics Newts are much lighter than Skywatcher. There was a 10" OO just gone on ebay, about £85, bargain.

The Lightbridge is heavy, but ideal for storage / transport. An AE sturdy shroud supports the truss.

I think you'd have a job separating the views visually, unless you're at max magnification on planets in super seeing conditions,

Nick.

Orion Optics Newts are much lighter than Skywatcher. There was a 10" OO just gone on ebay, about £85, bargain.

The Lightbridge is heavy, but ideal for storage / transport. An AE sturdy shroud supports the truss.

I think you'd have a job separating the views visually, unless you're at max magnification on planets in super seeing conditions,

Nick.

Thats true. My 12" F/5.3 dob weighs around 26kg all in. The Meade Lightbridge 12" that I used to have weighed around 10kg more. The OO optics are, I have to say, quite a step up from the LB ones.

Archived