SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How long will it take to save up for this mount?

emadmoussa

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The load capacity seems a little light for the price. Think I would rather have the Astrophysics 3600 GTO (the "el Capitan") which can take a lot more and is "only" around $27,000. As evidenced by the below....

belowmeridian1.jpg

That is a 24" PlaneWave Corrected Dall Kirkham scope in an inverted position (scope under the counerweights) which weighs 240lbs. The counerweights also weigh 240lb.

You really can spend a lot in this hobby if you want to....

Well I was tempted by the discounted 'ex display' on offer.

But having done a quick guesstimate on scope weights & multi scope fixing hardware, I would still end up swapping things on/off the mount.

No. I will stick with the CG5GT.

Hmmmm, I'm sure I have seen this before, perhaps it's a version of

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Have to agree with Matthew (DirkSteele) above that the 'el Capitan' would be my choice too but it is nice to see that there are other choices out there - now what's happening about that NEQ8?

James

Hmmmm, I'm sure I have seen this before, perhaps it's a version of

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Have to agree with Matthew (DirkSteele) above that the 'el Capitan' would be my choice too but it is nice to see that there are other choices out there - now what's happening about that NEQ8?

James

The load capacity seems a little light for the price. Think I would rather have the Astrophysics 3600 GTO (the "el Capitan") which can take a lot more and is "only" around $27,000. As evidenced by the below....

belowmeridian1.jpg

That is a 24" PlaneWave Corrected Dall Kirkham scope in an inverted position (scope under the counerweights) which weighs 240lbs. The counerweights also weigh 240lb.

You really can spend a lot in this hobby if you want to....

If I was a millionaire I'd have two. One for each eye.

Thanks for the link 'emadmoussa' and glad to see the launch is that bit nearer. Not sure about the polar scope positioning on the end of a metal bar (...not exactly stylish) and it looks as if you won't be able to manually 'dial' the alignment position in either. Still if it's a good price I would be interested in the extra capacity - I wonder if it's enough to attach an observing chair! :grin: :grin: :grin:

James

hahahaha,i liked the comment :"Do you think that Celestron will survive? " at the end of the video.

That mount is for rocket targeting and not telescopes.no one needs that slewing speeds.But that's being said,I will have 2 of those please and keep the change,but include that Celestron C14.

But what do you need a German equatorial mount for rockets .... It's not like their direction of travel has anything to do with the earth's rotation. As for satellites, they can be in geostationary, polar, weird figure of 8 orbits ....

(OK, earth rotation does matter when you consider the orbital mechanics, but you get what I mean)

Thanks for the link 'emadmoussa' and glad to see the launch is that bit nearer. Not sure about the polar scope positioning on the end of a metal bar (...not exactly stylish) and it looks as if you won't be able to manually 'dial' the alignment position in either. Still if it's a good price I would be interested in the extra capacity - I wonder if it's enough to attach an observing chair! :grin: :grin: :grin:

James

Exactly my reaction when I saw the polar scope aligned on the side...what?!! Neither stylish nor practical...yet another astronomical gear without bone/muscle health in mind :D

Archived