SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M1 - Crab nebula

trevboyd

Inspired by some very cool photos of this recently, I thought I'd have a go at finding it. I know it's not going to look like it does in the photos, but what could I expect to see? I couldn't see anything at all, and I'm pretty sure I was looking in the right place... :D Is this a visual object, or do I just need a bigger scope (like I keep telling my wife :D)?

TIA

Trev

M1 is not a spectacular object visually I'm afraid - at least in the size of scopes that I have access to.

I can see it in my 102mm refractor - but that's only because once you have found it once you know where to look and what to look for. I find it a pretty faint smudge which is easily drowned out by light pollution or moonglow.

It's a bit more distinct in my 10 inch dobsonain but even then nothing like the photos :D

I find that a UHC-S filter helps pick it out a little more easily.

John

I had missed it lots of times and only found it after someone said it looked like a thumb print! Try knocking your scope when you think your looking in the right place, sounds daft, but your eye might just detect enough movement from the nebula to pick it out for you. Happy hunting!

Helen

Trev

It is very tricky to find.

I have only seen it in my 8" scope from London when the LP is quite subdued

I did take a pic of it afocally that was very similar to the visual view. I'll see if I can find it as I'm sure I posted it.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks everyone!

I'll have another go I guess, but with a 120mm scope it sounds like really hard work!

That afocal image is very cool, Ian. I think I can see something "smudgy" there. I had no idea you could image fuzzies like that!

Trev

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at it the past couple of nights with a Skywatcher 150mm reflector but it is very faint and difficult to see. I use a LPR filter and low power eyepiece. Then I have to move the scope slightly when I am looking and I can detect a light smudge from the movement. I tried to increase the power but couldn't see it at all then. This is from a balcony in a light polluted area.

Jack

• 5 months later...

M1 is very faint but i did locate it with my tal 6 inch reflector, i have now got a skyliner 8 inch dob so will try and find this object again to see if i can notice anything different .

But i think all i will notice is a blob of light against a dark background if you are lucky.

I beg to differ from most of your comments, but I rather like M1. Certainly part of the appeal is what it really IS, but visually it doesn't disappoint me. In my 8" I always find it, and sometimes pick out some stringy detail in there - which is IMHO very rewarding.

Cheers

Andrew

Archived