Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TAL Barlow discontinued

DaveJFT

Hi folks,

I've been trying to upgrade my cheap Amazon 2x Barlow and after reading recommendations and reviews on here I've been trying to get my hands on a TAL 2x Barlow.

I thought I'd found one this weekend but have just received an email telling me that my order has been cancelled because they have no stock and won't be getting any more as TAL have discontinued their Barlows.

Is there an alternative available of the same or slightly better quality for a similar price?

Many thanks

Dave

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

As far as I know, the TAL x2 Barlow hasn't been discontinued, it's just stopped being imported.

http://www.talteleop...barlowlens.html

I was speaking to Roman at Talteloptics yesterday funny enough, enquiring about the x3 barlow, he reckoned he was due a new delivery in a couple of months and only had the x2 in stock. The price worked out $98 all in which I thought was a little steep, but I seen a x2 go for 50 quid on ebay the other day. I was fortunate enough to get one on ABS for a decent price thankfully.

The Revelation 2.5x three element barlow is very good for the money. I think a lot people are looking to this one since the Tal went.

http://www.telescope...arlow_Lens.html

I have this revelation as well as the TAL x2, I have had very little time with it because of the shocking weather, maybe 5 mins in total with both of them. So far it seems nice enough, definitely better than the stock barlow that came with my 200p, when I get some better skies I will do a good side by side comparison on the 2.

I know this is heresy but i never thought that much of the Tal 2x. I really couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It was slightly better than the Skywatcher deluxe barlow, wouldn't fit in my 1.25" WO diagonal and gave a yellow hue to all my views. The £30 made in Japan Antares barlow i bought from Scopes'n'skies gave a nicer view. I probably had a duffer though.

I think the TAL has been discontinued for a while now.

The Baader Classic Q 2.25 is getting some good reviews

http://stargazerslou...e-story-so-far/

The Baader Classic Q-Turret 2.25x barlow performs very well. Having looked carefully at the optical elements I have the sneaking suspicion that it might be a triplet.

It certainly seems to "get out of the way" when you use, it which is a good sign !

Fred

I hear what you say, I had a Tal x2 and sold it last year for the same as what I paid for it (about £40), it was OK but I didn't think it was that special, however I didn't have anything to compare it to so it may say more about the competition?

I replaced it with a x2.5 power mate which is better but so it should at the price

I know this is heresy but i never thought that much of the Tal 2x. I really couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It was slightly better than the Skywatcher deluxe barlow, wouldn't fit in my 1.25" WO diagonal and gave a yellow hue to all my views. The £30 made in Japan Antares barlow i bought from Scopes'n'skies gave a nicer view. I probably had a duffer though.

From what I can make out it seemed to be a rock solid "cheap" upgrade, but now because of it becoming hard to find it's becoming not so cheap, I had already ordered my Revelation 2.5x when I seen the TAL 2x come up for sale so grabbed it quickly to check it out.

The Baader Classic Q-Turret 2.25x barlow performs very well. Having looked carefully at the optical elements I have the sneaking suspicion that it might be a triplet.

It certainly seems to "get out of the way" when you use, it which is a good sign !

The bloke I bought the TAL 2x off had replaced it with one of the baader's so I think that speaks for itself, if I was to go back and get one now I think I would go with the Baader 2.25x for only 45 quid than try and hunt down a TAL2x

They seem to be fairly rare, but the Orion Shorty 2x and Celestron Ultima 2x are worth considering if you see one come up second hand. For new, my vote probably goes with the GSO/Revelation 2x and 2.5x at the lower-priced end of the market.

James

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

So the list of recommended candidates is thus:

Revelation 2.5x, £37 (TH)

Orion Shorty 2x, £38 (TH)

Baader Classic Q 2.25x, £45 (FLO)

Orion Shorty Plus 2x, £84 (TH)

Celestron X-Cel 2x, £89 (FLO)

Celestron X-Cel 3x, £98 (FLO)

APM Coma Correcting 2.7x, £127 (APM)

Celestron Ultima 2x, £130 (FLO/?)

Televue Powermate 2x, £175 (TH)

There's a bit of a jump in price between the Baader Classic and and the Orion Shorty Plus. Is the Shorty Plus worth the extra and if so is the Celestron 2x worth the extra £5? Basically, if the Orion Shorty Plus and Celestron aren't that much better than the Baader Classic then I'll go for the Baader.

I haven't really considered going for much more than a 2x because of the scope I have, an F5.5 SW Explorer 130p on an EQ2 mount which I gather will not cope so well with higher magnifications. Would this actually be the case?

Thanks again

Dave

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

So the list of recommended candidates is thus:

Revelation 2.5x, £37 (TH)

Orion Shorty 2x, £38 (TH)

Baader Classic Q 2.25x, £45 (FLO)

Orion Shorty Plus 2x, £84 (TH)

Celestron X-Cel 2x, £89 (FLO)

Celestron X-Cel 3x, £98 (FLO)

APM Coma Correcting 2.7x, £127 (APM)

Celestron Ultima 2x, £130 (FLO/?)

Televue Powermate 2x, £175 (TH)

There's a bit of a jump in price between the Baader Classic and and the Orion Shorty Plus. Is the Shorty Plus worth the extra and if so is the Celestron 2x worth the extra £5? Basically, if the Orion Shorty Plus and Celestron aren't that much better than the Baader Classic then I'll go for the Baader.

I haven't really considered going for much more than a 2x because of the scope I have, an F5.5 SW Explorer 130p on an EQ2 mount which I gather will not cope so well with higher magnifications. Would this actually be the case?

Thanks again

Dave

Dave, i would remove the Orion Shorty 2x from your list. It's basically the same as the cheap rubbish that comes with a scope. It's only the Orion Shorty Plus 2x you would want to consider.

Dave, i would remove the Orion Shorty 2x from your list. It's basically the same as the cheap rubbish that comes with a scope. It's only the Orion Shorty Plus 2x you would want to consider.

Yes, good point. My mistake above. I did mean the Plus :(

James

Oh, if it's relevant, the Ultima 2x and Shorty Plus 2x are apparently the same optics (I've never had a Shorty Plus, so I can't comment from personal experience). The Ultima 2x (which I do have) is actually somewhere between 2x and 2.5x. I've not specifically set out to measure it though from comparisons of images I estimate it's about 2.3x.

James

I think I'm getting sold on the Orion Shorty Plus. Is there any reason I should chose the Celestion X-Cel 2x over the Orion?

I have no experience of the X-Cel barlow unfortunately, so cannot advise.

The Orion Shorty Plus, Celestron Ultima and the TV 2x that Rik mentioned are all very good indeed, and a cut above the Tal 2x. All three are approx the same price new and secondhand. So it would be just a case of which comes up first at a good price. Or which is selling for the best price new.

Edit - i didn't realise the Celeston Ultima was so much money, £130 is ridiculous when the Orion Short Plus is the same barlow with a different name.

Also, the TV 2x has a longer 1.25" nosepiece with screw in lens assembly. Which is no problem in a newtonian but may hit the mirror in a diagonal with a refractor or mak.

i didn't realise the Celeston Ultima was so much money, £130 is ridiculous when the Orion Short Plus is the same barlow with a different name.

I only found it listed on two UK sites: FLO who don't give a price and www.opticstar.com who have that price but don't have stock.

Archived