BST Starguider 18 and 25mm EPs - Thumbs up from me!

Afternoon all,

I've recently taken delivery of two new EPs. An 18 and 25mm BST Starguider from Skies Unlimited/Skys the Limit. I did a load of reading on here about all different EPs and sat lots of good feedback offered for Alan and his products so thought I'd give it a whirl!

I've had one oppurtunity to use them from a dark site in the Forest of Dean recently and only have the stocl EPs which came with my Skywatcher 150p to compare them with. And, to put it bluntly, I really like them. Being a newbie, I had a couple of 'wow moments' with the stock EPs but when I started using the BSTs, I was impressed. The biggest thing at the moment I noticed is that they are much more confortable around the eye to use, with their long eye relief. I tried to do some comparing between the stock EPs and the BSTs, but once I found out how much more comfortable they are to use, I didn't really take the stock ones out the case anymore.

In terms of optical quality, I did notice a difference with things being clearer. I am very much a newbie, and have started using these EPs as my first upgrade, and I will be getting a couple more I think. I can count the number of quality observing sessions I have had on two hands, but I did manage to pick up a couple of new Messier clusters for me in my first session with them which I don't think I would have got otherwise.

All I can say is I think they are a great chouce and peoples advice and opinions on SGL hasn't let me down whatsoever!

I look forward to giving them another airing soon. Big thanks to Alan for his already well documents customer service and communications!

Tony :grin:

Good to hear positives about the 18mm along with all the other mentions the BSTs have on here. I have been looking to order one to go with the 8mm I recently got from the same place. Unfortunately not had a chance to use it yet but got the same great service from Alan.

I have the 5,8,12 and 25mm ones and although I've only used them twice I was really impressed

Although I've only one stock sw ep to compare it with they are much better than that.

Nice write up and I may add the 18mm soon myself just to give more options.

Damian

Hi Dave,

I did try ordering an 8mm the other day, but Alan was out of stock. Hopefuly though, they'll be back on the self mid to end of this week apparently. Have you used the 8mm much since you got it? What sort of things have you been able to get with it?

It's amazing how much money you can pour into this hobby, but in comparison, it's good to see there are people there putting in some good work to provide for lesser budgets. Especially for people like me who will probably never go to the extent of having several scopes, a home-build obsy and all the gadgets that go with it. Problem is I've got too many hobbies which drain funds as it is so this is ideal for me!

Happy days!

Good choice! I have a few of these and find them a joy to use. I am seriously considering picking up the 5mm and 25mm soon as the eyepieces I have are great.

I have the 5,8,12 and 25mm ones and although I've only used them twice I was really impressed

Although I've only one stock sw ep to compare it with they are much better than that.

Nice write up and I may add the 18mm soon myself just to give more options.

Damian

I'm trying hard to justify to myself not to go for the whole set, hence upgrading my barlow too, but it seems it's a bit of habbit - you've just got to collect these things, if only to fill up the space in the EP case!

I've got the 25mm, 12mm (explorers) and 5mm (starguider) and I really like them, the extra field of view they give over the stock EPs is worth the money alone I reckon. The 5mm is lightyears ahead of the 6mm Meade MA I've got for viewing planets... but then it is also nearly 4 time the price!

Craig

I know what you mean tony, all well and good having a shiny set of eye pieces in a nice case but its having the chance to use them that's the problem!

There's a thread on here about your eye piece case and there is some serious cash in some of those one guy even posted shots of them in a safe now that is serious!

Lots of high end eye pieces and I may get the chance one day to look through one, but for most people they are unjustifiable given that most set ups are less than the price of just one eye piece.

Afternoon all,

I've recently taken delivery of two new EPs. An 18 and 25mm BST Starguider from Skies Unlimited/Skys the Limit. I did a load of reading on here about all different EPs and sat lots of good feedback offered for Alan and his products so thought I'd give it a whirl!

I've had one oppurtunity to use them from a dark site in the Forest of Dean recently and only have the stocl EPs which came with my Skywatcher 150p to compare them with. And, to put it bluntly, I really like them. Being a newbie, I had a couple of 'wow moments' with the stock EPs but when I started using the BSTs, I was impressed. The biggest thing at the moment I noticed is that they are much more confortable around the eye to use, with their long eye relief. I tried to do some comparing between the stock EPs and the BSTs, but once I found out how much more comfortable they are to use, I didn't really take the stock ones out the case anymore.

In terms of optical quality, I did notice a difference with things being clearer. I am very much a newbie, and have started using these EPs as my first upgrade, and I will be getting a couple more I think. I can count the number of quality observing sessions I have had on two hands, but I did manage to pick up a couple of new Messier clusters for me in my first session with them which I don't think I would have got otherwise.

All I can say is I think they are a great chouce and peoples advice and opinions on SGL hasn't let me down whatsoever!

I look forward to giving them another airing soon. Big thanks to Alan for his already well documents customer service and communications!

Tony :grin:

I have the 8 & 18mm, both superb & crisp, customer service from Sky's the Limit is first class, Alan is extremely helpful & knowledgeable !! :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived