SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help needed ...quick before the clouds come!

Caz

Daft thing to ask but is the telescope cover off? sorry had to ask...

WHEN aligning the finder scope try and do it in the day on a telegrapth post or lamp post quite away from your observing location(away from the sun).

If your finderscope is well off then try sighting the telescope at a Bright STAR or planet then move your scope whilst looking in the eyepiece until i comes into view. once you have it centred align your finderscope on the object.

James

lol i had too ask...

Yeah sounds like ya finderscope is well off iam affraid just try looking up the scope and centering Mars then when you thin its close take a peek and if its not there try vibrating the scope to see if it goes across ya eyepiece judge were abouts it is then look for the mother!

James :clouds2:

ok Caz , this is easy gal , get mars in the finder scope centre it , now this is a bit tricky , but ya only have to do it the once , take alook down the outside of the tub see how it lines up with mars just maybe a touch left ,or maybe right up and down as well , now look through the main scope and move it very slow ,and i mean slow either right or left , irf the scope is level you should only have to move it left or right , this can take time or you could get lucky right away , when u have it ,centre it in the main scope eyepiece , once done look through the finder scope , now adjust the finder scope so mars is in the centre of the finder scope , and lock it , now you have perfect alignment with finder scope to main scope

hope that helps

Rog

ok Caz , this is easy gal , get mars in the finder scope centre it , now this is a bit tricky , but ya only have to do it the once , take alook down the outside of the tub see how it lines up with mars just maybe a touch left ,or maybe right up and down as well , now look through the main scope and move it very slow ,and i mean slow either right or left , irf the scope is level you should only have to move it left or right , this can take time or you could get lucky right away , when u have it ,centre it in the main scope eyepiece , once done look through the finder scope , now adjust the finder scope so mars is in the centre of the finder scope , and lock it , now you have perfect alignment with finder scope to main scope

hope that helps

Rog

I don`t know if that has helped Caz but that has helped me. :clouds2: :clouds2:

Thanks Rog

:clouds2: Moonhunter :clouds2:

Hi Caz, Use Polaris as your finder star - Align polais in your telescope first with the lowest powereyepiece you have - Then align the finder scope to polaris. This should give you time. Once you have done that use a high magnification eyepiece and repeat the process.

It also maybe Caz, that the image you see in your finder scope is upside down in your telescope eyepiece.

That's what I was going to say, as Polaris doesn't move while you are fiddling around with things. I have also used a distant object, such as the top of a telephone pole, or the corner of a distant apartment building, to align the scope in daytime. You will often find that no matter what, you are off by a little, and have to get used to just where in the finder the object is, in relation to the crosshairs, when the object is centred in your FOV.

I have a red-dot finder now, which I had to shim to get it close, but it has a better alignment system than the three to six screws you have to adjust for an optical finder.

Don't worry, don't frown, these are just teething problems. You'll be eating astronomical steak soon!

Archived