Which scope to buy with group use in mind?

I spent a few hours looking at power supplies last night. Is a battery like the Lucas 12v 10, 12 or 22Ah AGM type battery suitable for use with the GoTo system? Because they're the Glass Mat type batteries I can give them a deeper discharge before recharging them, so is it worth paying over £20 for the 22Ah as 10Ah should give me about 8 hours of viewing before it needs topping up. The GoTo on the 127 SLT uses about 1A per hour, is that correct (no dew heaters or any other power sources)?

10Ah - ~ £16 retail

http://www.tayna.co.uk/LSLA10-12-Lucas-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-P7765.html

12Ah - £17

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Lucas-SLA-12-12-Mobility-Battery-P7718.html

22Ah - £26

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-LSLC-22Ah-12V-AGM-GEL-GOLF-TROLLEY-BATTERY-18-Holes-MOCAD-FRASER-/190623631473

For a charger I guess I'm better to pick something good and smart like a Ctek. If I buy the small battery (i.e. < 14Ah) then I'm happy to buy the slow 0.8A smart charger for about £30. If I buy the bigger batteries I'll need a better £50 charger, which is going to break my budget.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-CTEK-XS-0-8-12V-Motorbike-Battery-Smart-Charger-Conditioner-/121026112176?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c2db7eab0

Will the cables I need to connect the GoTo mount to the battery come with the telescope, or do I need to buy the ring tongue or something else to connect both up? I'll be asking my dad for help with connecting the two as he's the DIY guru in our family!

Again, thanks for the help I've been given here so far. It's genuinely helped me reach a decision and understand what type of additional equipment I'll require to operate a GoTo system.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi...for the battery allways go for a bigger battery than you expect to use....if you get smaller one then as you may add to equipment the battery would struggle a bit....more amps more play time with scope..the battery you have a link to is of the type in the car jump packs they can do the job but personaly i dont rate them as long term investment..if you go out one night and use for 3-4 four hours you then need charger on right away incase next night is a good observing night..if you eventualy go to more advanced set up like running you scope via stellarium on a laptop you should use a leasure battery as a better option ....davy

the power lead that comes with the skywatchers is a cigar lighter type...so you will need to convert to battery via another connection i believe.

..the battery terminals on the golf buggy type are usualy male type spades..

...blue female spades would be required fitted to a two core cable adapter

.you said your father was quite handy so i would suggest making a new cable to suit your power supply,i made my own after connection at cigar lighter kept getting knocked out in the dark.

...all available parts from maplins ...think its a 2.1mm power plug at scope side ,you need length of two core cable (black/red) and female blue spades..

.....caution....consult handbook for termination to scope as reversed polarity will blow the scope electronics....no second chances with this....

Thanks shirva. I thought AGM or Gel type batteries were among the best types for use with the GoTo system? That's what I've read here and on other forums. Since posting I've found the golf type that Lucas sell. I actually called a place in Glasgow on Dalmarnock Road and the guy I spoke to told me they were great batteries as they can be discharged by a greater amount than the normal flooded lead type batteries and he mentioned something beneficial about the way they are charged. I thought the power packs don't use AGM or Gel batteries?

The website below has the second battery I listed in the post above in the Gel section.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/LSLA20-12-Lucas-SLA-Battery-P8920.html

High quality VRLA design with excellent AGM battery, build quality and supreme battery performance. These Gel batteries have excellent cycling and low self discharge rates.

I need to get one that fits on the bracket between the scope and the ground. If anybody knows the dimension of that plate it would help me choose a battery before I get the scope.

The battery below is definitely a AGM type but will probably be too large to sit where I want it to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-LSLC-22Ah-12V-AGM-GEL-GOLF-TROLLEY-BATTERY-18-Holes-MOCAD-FRASER-/190623631473?pt=UK_Golf_Trolleys&hash=item2c620dc871

Thanks for the information about the connectors I need as I wasn't sure how I'd be connecting the power cable to the battery. Can I remove them from the battery quite easily? When I spoke to my dad about it this evening he reminded me that I'd want a power cable that I can easily disconnect from battery so I can store them and the scope easily in the house and transport them all in the car to a dark sky site.

I'm not bothered who manufactures the battery, it doesn't have to be a Lucas, I just need one that has a high Ah number, is of the Gel or AGM type and fits on the plate under my scope.

Thanks again Shirva.

Thanks for getting back to me and telling me about the Durite connectors. Helpful piece of information. If I can find the dimensions of the accessory tray it'd help me as I'd be able to buy the battery before I get the scope next Saturday. Any 127 Mak owners who know or can measure the dimensions of the tray? It'd be much appreciated. Failing that I guess I could email FLO or Celestron.

You're right I don't really have to put it on the tray - and maybe I won't be able to if the AGM batteries are too big at 20Ah - but I was hoping to put it there to add stability to the mount. Funnily enough I watched this video from 1987 where Sir Patrick Moore offers his advice on scopes and bins to purchase and he stated that wobbly mounts render the OTA on top useless! Hoping the 127 SLT mount isn't as bad and shaky as I've read here and there. I've already asked my dad if he'll help me if we need to add glue to the legs, tighten up the bolts and pour sand into the hollow metal legs. Hopefully none of that will be necessary if we add a small iron weight and/or put the battery in the tray. A 4-6 Kg battery should add some stability. The only place I can imagine it being a real problem is when we take the scope to Galloway Forest Park, because in the other two primary locations we have good, firm ground to set the scope down on.

I'm genuinely very excited about getting the scope and my friend and his kids are also desperate to see it in action. Got the Philip's Planisphere today as I still want to learn the sky to some extent despite having the GoTo system.

Don't panic over weight side of scope they are pretty sturdy units .can't comment on yours but I have had my 8" scope on a eq3 pro and never had any bother. A couple of weights from weight lifting set or Tesco more than enough to hold it firm...sand might be ok but you need to keep it portable for humphing it about..Davy

Don't panic over weight side of scope they are pretty sturdy units .can't comment on yours but I have had my 8" scope on a eq3 pro and never had any bother. A couple of weights from weight lifting set or Tesco more than enough to hold it firm...sand might be ok but you need to keep it portable for humphing it about..Davy

Received my 127 SLT today, so thank you for all the help and advice regarding the purchase. Also received the 12mm BST Explorer to go with it.

One question to those of you who bought a new Celestron Nexstar telescope - is there a film over the hand control's LCD screen? If there isn't them I'm a tad concerned as the surface, at the least the top film layer, is scratched and has been pulled up slightly on the bottom left corner. I don't want to remove it in case it isn't supposed to come off, but if it isn't then I'm worried about why it's in that state. As far as I can tell everything else seems new, which it should be as I bought it as new from a reputable and well known retailer (not FLO).

Oh and good luck with the new scope as you know weather up our way poor just now ..waiting on testing my video cam new lens outdoors prior to modding my camera .... ...clear skies ...Davy

Hi Davy,

Thanks for the reassurance. I sent a PM to M4lcs67 as he owns the same scope and is active on the forums. He let me know that it's just a film to protect the screen. It isn't like the protective guard you get on mobile phone screens with the little lip that you peel back - it was less obvious than that type of protector. Mine probably got scratched during transport or something. I peeled it off and the screen underneath is free of blemishes.

Enjoy your new lens and camera. Hopefully we'll get some clear skies over the central belt next week. I can't wait to try the scope out. Very glad I got the BST 12mm as the complementary Celestron Plossls seem quite basic, especially the 9mm EP. Once I've got enough money over the next month or two I'll look to buy at least one more eyepiece. I quite fancy the Celestron X-Cel LX line of eyepieces. Need to buy the battery and fit the dew shield on once the scope is out and then we're away.

Thanks to the Widscreen Centre in London for getting the scope up to Glasgow in one day. Great service and deal from them (£350 for it).

Thanks. .I have a lot of posts on the video section of the forum. .blasting away like mad on it...its a slow forum but I think its under rated..deforestation a great side to get into ..can be cheaper than other types of imagining. .Davy

happy you got the scope that turns you on the most. you have to live with it if you stay in the hobby.

I think the nextar is a good route for a beginner as far as goto is concerned.

longer focal ratio scopes have the advantage of being able to use longer focal length eyepieces for high power viewing. This is good for planets and for eye comfort. I think the eye comfort should come first as you say the scope will be shared. I like plossls that are no smaller than 12mm as you have to put your eye very close to the lens. A barlow lens will get you to the higher magnifications when the time comes. Lots of money can be saved by buying eyepieces used.

have fun!

Thanks for the kind comments, Ohmless.

Like a new baby I've been checking up on the scope every few hours, just looking at it, touching it and reading the Celestron manual to understand how it works. I thought tonight would be the night as I checked a number of different weather websites and apps and they all told me that the clouds would be disappearing for a few hours over Glasgow this evening. It's not happening, I'm afraid. The clouds are spread wide across the Glasgow skies and appear dark and menacing. Also, the Scottish wind is picking up strength and this scope is known to vibrate in the breeze. I'll just have to bide my time.

Anyway, I've still to take delivery of the AstroZap Dew Shield from FLO and I need to pop over to a local battery distributor to pick up the Lucas 12v battery. I've also been memorising the latitude and longitude coordinates (not decimal format) of the spot I'll be using in my garden so I can input them quickly and easily into the hand control.

One of the best resources I've used is a thread on here that goes through a numbered list of common errors the person made when they first used their GoTo scope. It also has helpful tips about how to make the most of GoTo type telescopes.

I've got a 12mm BST Explorer to use with the scope as I'd read so many comments all over the internet about how poor the 9mm Plossl supplied by Celestron is. I didn't want to receive the telescope, wait for the weather to clear up and then be disappointed by the views owing to the EP, so I managed to get a better EP to go along with the purchase of the 127 SLT.

Well, it's a late night post (nearly 3am) because I've stayed up late in order to peer through the cracks in the clouds to achieve first light - and it worked! I couldn't align the scope using the GoTo system as there was too much cloud, but I did manage to use the red dot finderscope to find the moon (not too difficult!) and I got decent views at times using the 25mm and 12mm EPs.

I was just about to call it a night when I spied Saturn just to the left of some trees. I slipped in the 25mm and managed to make out the rings quite easily, so in a hurry I popped the 12mm BST in and looked through excitedly only to see darkness mostly and a faint smudge of light behind it. A massive cloud had rolled in and wasn't going anywhere in a hurry, and once it had moved past Saturn the planet had sneaked behind the trees!

Still, my heart is pounding just now and I feel wide awake with excitement and happiness at seeing something so spectacular. I hope we have less cloud cover tomorrow evening as I want to take my dad up to the local moors and show him just how amazing the planets are.

So happy just now. Thanks again for all the help and advice re. the 127 Mak. :smiley:

• 1 month later...

I purchased a Nexstar 130 SLT as my first scope about 4 years ago and can say that I have never once been disappointed in it. The optics are great, the GOTO works a treat and, to be honest, I've never had a problem with the mount. Yes, it is a little flimsy compared to some, but honestly... It supports the tube no problem at all.

Prior to purchasing the 130 SLT, I really had no experience with scopes at all, but the ease of setup and use had me seeing some breathtaking stuff from day one. I have, of course, had aperture fever almost since day one also, but I think that's natural regardless of what scope you purchase. I found the 5" Newtonian to provide beautiful views for its aperture and has inspired my love for looking at the skies so much that I have just last week upgraded to a Meade 10" LX90 ACF. Originally, my thoughts when purchasing the Meade was that I was going to donate the Nexstar to my girlfriends father, purely because he seemed somewhat impressed by it the first time he saw, but... Who am I kidding? I'm never getting rid of my Nexstar 130 SLT! I love it... It was and will always be my first scope and I just know that I will be using it for a long time to come.

Interestingly, and I'm sure its due to not having had it under a dark sky yet, the Meade is yet to have shown me anything massively more impressive than the Nexstar has so far. Obviously, being that the Meade is almost 4 times what I paid for the Celestron (the 130 SLT's are so affordable these days compared to when I bought mine, I'm almost tempted to buy another purely out of envy... Kidding!) I'm HOPING it is the lack of dark skies!!! :)

1367237749[/url'>' post='1917689']

I purchased a Nexstar 130 SLT as my first scope about 4 years ago and can say that I have never once been disappointed in it. The optics are great, the GOTO works a treat and, to be honest, I've never had a problem with the mount. Yes, it is a little flimsy compared to some, but honestly... It supports the tube no problem at all.

Prior to purchasing the 130 SLT, I really had no experience with scopes at all, but the ease of setup and use had me seeing some breathtaking stuff from day one. I have, of course, had aperture fever almost since day one also, but I think that's natural regardless of what scope you purchase. I found the 5" Newtonian to provide beautiful views for its aperture and has inspired my love for looking at the skies so much that I have just last week upgraded to a Meade 10" LX90 ACF. Originally, my thoughts when purchasing the Meade was that I was going to donate the Nexstar to my girlfriends father, purely because he seemed somewhat impressed by it the first time he saw, but... Who am I kidding? I'm never getting rid of my Nexstar 130 SLT! I love it... It was and will always be my first scope and I just know that I will be using it for a long time to come.

Interestingly, and I'm sure its due to not having had it under a dark sky yet, the Meade is yet to have shown me anything massively more impressive than the Nexstar has so far. Obviously, being that the Meade is almost 4 times what I paid for the Celestron (the 130 SLT's are so affordable these days compared to when I bought mine, I'm almost tempted to buy another purely out of envy... Kidding!) I'm HOPING it is the lack of dark skies!!! :)

Sorry, I hadn't read to the end of the thread and seen that you had already purchased the Nexstar 127SLT... Congrats, I'm sure you will absolutely love it. I had to smile when I read how excited you were at first having seen Saturn... I, like pretty much everyone else who has ever seen it through a telescope, felt exactly the same way!

best of luck with the skies... Hope they clear up so you can take the new beast for a real run. Also, don't worry too much about exact co-ordinates for the GOTO, it works perfectly so long as it knows what city you are in. All the best!!

Archived