Narrowband

Mars March 2012 Global Animation Full Rotation.

Space Cowboy

March 2012 was a remarkable month with many clear nights allowing me to capture the whole planet of Mars (well 99%). Thanks to the marvellous Winjupos mapping feature I've produced a global animation. Not sure how accurate it is but its a pretty cool effect.

Hi Stuart, I must admit i prefer the real avi as a animation. But winjupos does do a very smooth rotation. Any idea why the lines show up. seems to be somekind of stretching going on around the detaill too. Not sure if thats a problem with these animations generally or not. But Agreed it does look cool. Ive never attempted any of these. one day i think i would like to try

Man you was busy during the Mars opposition. A full rotation is a lot of work

Cheers guys! Neil there could well be a image scale issue causing the stretching. I'm not sure I did this the correct way but I cropped the map off the cylindrical projection graph and then upscaled it to the same size as the winjupos Mars image file. I may have done this wrong? For sure the polar cap looks too small that may be a image measuring issue.

Anyhow its all a bit of fun and I'm sure Nasa wont be using it to plan their future Martian missions! :Envy:

I need to process all the images the same way as I'd just picked them at random. I'm not sure how to get rid of the seems where the images have been joined. Damian posted up a flawless Jupiter globe recently so maybe I should ask him. :smiley:

Nice one Stuart! You can tell the UK weather is not astro-friendly at the moment ... everyone is processing all their archive stuff and pretty good it is too.

It'll be nice to see the night sky again.

Better Stuart especially the poles. I suspect as you learn more about how to build these, they will get better still. The seams are annoying, and some ripples around the ice cap. As mentioned ive not tried one at all yet. So i certainly cant advise. would need your help to build one. Which you have kindly done already

Archived