SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Query about DSS - is this possible?

All, I've had a thought. Now I may be way off or not, but if anyone can chip in I would appreciate it.....

Is it plausable to shoot say 200 iso Darks and Bias to create a clean master dark/bias and then use this with higher iso lights to get a cleaner final image?

I have taken the opportunity this last week to shoot a load of darks, flats and bias frames at differing iso values and all at around 8 degrees centigrade - a little warmer than I would like, but short of leaving the camera outdoors this is the best I can muster under the circumstances.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for looking :)

You need to match the darks so they are taken at the same iso and exposure time as the lights and just as important at a similar temperature.

Bias frames at the same iso and flats need to taken without altering the optical train so that the focus and camera orientation are the same

Hi Kev and yes I've done this, taking 30 second darks and bias to match the subs I take. I tend to use 30 seconds ( or less) as there is no trailing at all and using mirror lock with the camera means almost all my subs ar ok too.

:)

Oh and another thing, I don't need to worry about DFS either as I'm not using bulb mode. That said, does anyone know just how much noisier images might be if I did do some 2 minute subs and turned dark frame subtraction off in the camera's debug menu?

Cheers :)

Archived