What is the point of a 5*Barlow?

My Tal2 came with a x4 Barlow to go with the 8, 15, 25 and 42mm plossls, giving me what seems to be a reasonable range of mags. Agreed x600 with the 8mm is, for practical purposes, beyond the capability of the scope but the others seem Ok. Now I've added a 32mm I think I've got it covered.:)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

It might just me but bit it seams a bit impractical to put for example a 40mm into a 5* Barlow considering the size or length it will be sticking out the eyepiece for one thing. And would you not loose some of the image quality as well, like its sharpness and the size of the image you are viewing than the purity from gust the 400mm Plossl?

It might just me but bit it seams a bit impractical to put for example a 40mm into a 5* Barlow considering the size or length it will be sticking out the eyepiece for one thing. And would you not loose some of the image quality as well, like its sharpness and the size of the image you are viewing than the purity from gust the 400mm Plossl?

If its a poor quality barlow you will lose image quality. But there are some cracking barlows around these days that will not diminish the view by any detectable amount.

And one reason for using a barlow on a low power eyepiece is to retain some of the qualities of that eyepiece, such as comfortable eye relief. It's quite common for people to prefer using say a 12mm Ortho with a good 2x barlow instead of a 6mm Ortho because the 12mm is a far nicer eyepiece to use and those benefits get carried over by the barlow.

Btw the 40mm becomes an 8mm with the 5x barlow. But that would not be a good example as the 40mm is hampered by a small apparent field.

Hmmmm,

Would it be worth while having a *4 if you already have a *2?

REgards,

Mr Gaza

Hi Mr Gaza, in a word 'No'. Not good for visual in my opinion, and will put magnification beyond the capability of the scope probably. The other thing I find is that you soon lose the object you are viewing when you try to magnify too much too soon, I find this with ep's too.

Hi Mr Gaza, in a word 'No'. Not good for visual in my opinion, and will put magnification beyond the capability of the scope probably. The other thing I find is that you soon lose the object you are viewing when you try to magnify too much too soon, I find this with ep's too.

I notice this when viewing with my 15mm to then go down to my 6.4. I thought it was something too do with the eyepiece. Especially when viewing (what I assume at the time to be an asteroid) must be a comet as it has been in the atmosphere for at least 1 or 1&1/2 months now at least and is still about but getting fainter by the week.

At first i thought it was the asteroid as it came in view about 2 or 3 week before the asteroid peaked its nearness on 15 feb. I remembered saying to me self I never new asteroids had small tails!

Is that a common newbie mistake?

regards,

MrGaza

Just thinking about this - would adding a barlow, to extend the focal length of a newtonian, make for more accurate collimation with a lazer collimator? I dont know exactly how the barlow lens works. Just to save me crunching some of my own brain cells reading up I just thought i'd throw it out there. I dont use a barlow to collimate at the moment, although I do wind the focuser right out.

Archived