stargazine_ep39_banner.thumb.jpg.b87bddaa2aded94d2a3456c0589a82b9.jpg

Number of observing nights this year.

Just two for me, mainly because I was putting an observatory into the attic and moving equipment and cables but then if i got it right the amount of clear night were no more than seven so have not missed out much.

Jim

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd sooner not talk about it...

So far 14 sessions noted down so far this year. I've been out observing whenever it's been clear , hopefully we'll get clearer skies, Nick.

None lmao still waiting for my first scope to be delivered haha

Ummmm since December10th last year I have had one clear night and I couldnt go out. Total usable nights = 1, Total nights observing = zip, nada, none, zero, nil.......

.thats why astro is now not even a secondary hobby. Merely an aspiration at some future time, maybe, if it happens, sort of at some indefinite future time. About on a par with visiting Chernobyl and taking a dlight to the edge of space. Kind of like a bucket list. i spend more time with my model rockets these days. I dont maintain my website anymore because astro has slipped so far down my list of things to do its not really relevant to me anymore.

Maybe one day the weather will be better but its gotten worse over the last five years. I wont sell the stuff ( well I might sell two of the scopes off if the sky doesnt clear fairly soon) but neither do I take much interest in it as a hobby anymore.

Edited by Astro_Baby
  • Like 1

I can count the number of times out this year so far on one hand. It's a joke. I hope things start to clear up soon as I just got a Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece I'm itching to try out.

Since January I've had 22 night viewing sessions but since February 13th, there has only been 3 clear nights! By all accounts Occidental Europe has been hit quite badly this year :sad:

I haven't enjoyed a really good observing session since November. This year I have been out on three occasions, the last was very dissapointing due to unforcast cloud cover inside 30 minutes of setting up. I have missed one or two opportunities though due to other obligations. I have though begun to have a recurring dream about clear skys and anxiously trying to organise the scope. In reality, as Astro Baby has put it - Feels at the moment with each passing month as more like an aspiration than an expectation.

Only one so far, though the last of my equipment didn't arrive until a week ago.

Local Astronomy Club meet this week, hoping to join them if the weather improves.

Perhaps the yuk weather is due to us not worshipping the Sun God anymore?

I don't think I've had *any* usable night in March. There were a couple that the weathermen called "clear" but since the LVM was about 2,5 on each night I wasn't going to bother.

Frustratingly It cleared just as I was going to bed a couple of nights ago, but as I had to be up at 6.20 I had to forego it.

2 this year of any note, in fact since Oct 11 I worked out that it has cost me £116.65 per session.

Seriously wondering why I'm considering a venture into AP given that to get real capture time it could take years at my current strike rate for decent visual work.

I've actually had more fun with my spotting scope sweeping the milky way than with either "proper" scope!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Just the once for me and that was with a full moon and the clouds predictably rolling in to cut short the session.

That was back in Jan and before that was end of October, again with the moon in the way.

If you can only observe at a dark sky site it's pointless unless you are confident of at least a few hours of cloudless skies. A LP kind garden where you can nip out for any short gaps in the cloud seems to be the only way to make the most of this hobby at the moment.

This winter season has been a non event for me.

It's new moon, there's a comet to marvel at and predictably every weather website (and sat24) is showing blanket cloud for days

1 hour, new scope bought in december, had one clear night till it clouded over, next night got the scope out and the RA motor had packed up, got it back yesturday just as the clouds rolled in.....