meade 2" telextender

faulksy

hi guys. as some of you no i have recently bought the above and what a quality item it is, any way the problem is when i fit it into my diagonal my diagonal doesnt grip it very well due to the steps in the barlow the ones that lock it into place so thhat it wont fall out. if i pull the barlow out around 5mm the comression ring on my diagonal grips the larger portion of the barlow and grips it fine. its as if were you put the ep on the diagonal theholder is to short and the barlow bottoms out any one come across this before, thanks for the help. regards mike

Faulksy,

I can't see any difference between my Meade diagonal and my Televue diagonal so I don't think it has something to do with that, can you post a photo of the problem or can you enlarge on i t a little, I am not totally sure what you are saying and I would like to help if I can.

Have you tried the extender direct into the focuser without a diagonal being there?

Alan.

I have just tried my Powermate into both diagonals and it does not go all the way in. This is not a problem the extender/powermate will work fine. The most important thing is that it is secure within the diagonal and will not fall out if you turn it over.

Is yours holding it in position, if not is it holding a 2 inch eyepiece?

Alan.

Faulksy,

I can't see any difference between my Meade diagonal and my Televue diagonal so I don't think it has something to do with that, can you post a photo of the problem or can you enlarge on i t a little, I am not totally sure what you are saying and I would like to help if I can.

Have you tried the extender direct into the focuser without a diagonal being there?

Alan.

hi again. yes tried extender directly in the steel track focuser and it is fine.

I have just tried my Powermate into both diagonals and it does not go all the way in. This is not a problem the extender/powermate will work fine. The most important thing is that it is secure within the diagonal and will not fall out if you turn it over.

Is yours holding it in position, if not is it holding a 2 inch eyepiece? my revalations diagonal holds 2" e.p.s fine, as you say your powermate doesnt go all the way in either.if i tighten thumb screw tight it holds it ok, but if i lift the extender a few mm the compression ring grips the larger diameter of the extender and holds it as it should.or better if i cut 4mm of my extender it will locate proper. now weres my grinder lol

Alan.

I think I have the picture. As much as believe that all things should be much the same they are not, I think we have a little of an imbalance of different makes here. Can I suggest that you live with it for the time being and when you can afford a change, upgrade to a Meade diagonal or something like, I may well be bringing mine to the UK at the end of April to sell, If I do I will PM you, I am after another TV diagonal. I have to say I am rether making the assumption that the tele-extender has not been altered and it is like the one I used about 18 months back. They are very nice pieces of kit.

Alan.

the telextender is only 8 days old still a baby. i did hear you mentioning you was selling your meade diagonal might be tempted, i can remmember the review in the sky at night mag and it came out good. would you be able to measure the depth were the e.p. goes for me or were the e.p would bottom out. mine measures 40mm from were the ep would rest to the outer most part of the diagonal.and the telextender measures full length is 49mm. thanks, regards mike

Just measured my Meade and Revelation 2" diagonals, both are 40mm deep to the stop if anything the Revelation is fractionally deeper, the bottom of the retaining ring is 15mm down on

both, the only difference I can see is that the retaining ring on the Meade is a few mm thinner.

Dave

thanks dave, so all diagonals must measure the same then. what is the compression ring depth from the eye piece stop. i.e. is it lower than the revalations or higher. thanks again

sorry read your reply again and you have already answerd it. ir the ring measured some thing like 18mm down instead of 15mm it would be fine, just tried it again it grips it fine but you have to tighten the thumb screw up very tight to hold it, might put another thumb screw on. does any one know were to get them from ?

Just checked and on the Meade things only go down as far as metal stop ring and that is either 38 or 39mm but not 40. so I would say it is a bit less, If I sell it I will PM you.

Alan.

So just measured my Meade with something more accurate than the first time and it's 40mm to the stop, the Revelation is 41mm, compression ring is 15mm to the bottom in both so the only real difference I can see is the Meade compression ring is 8mm wide and on the Revelation it's 10mm.

Dave

Archived