Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 surge protection

I use a RCD and surge protected/smoothed socket for my setup. The reason being that the power outlet for the garden is on the same circuit as the freezer. When the motor of the freezer starts up, it produces a spike that can cause problems for some devices on the same electrical circuit.

This could manifest itself as image corruption (if imaging) or mount reset (this happend a few times). As a sidenote, it also manifests itself as an audiable spike in amplification and recording equipment - a good reason why you cant have a fridge in a recording studio. Its worth getting a good bench supply too, it will offer further protection and give you headroom for expansion further down the line (dew heaters, cameras etc..).

Last reason I use it is for safety, Im taking no chances with my life when running 240v down the garden.

Last reason I use it is for safety, Im taking no chances with my life when running 240v down the garden.

I know you mentioned it at the top, but to ensure the OP doesn't confuse a surge protector with an RCD.

A surge protector protects the equipment from mains voltage spikes. If you're using a 12v PSU, I cant see how they would get through, so perhaps it's EMC spikes which are coming through? Perhaps ferrite rings on leads would be better but I'm no expert on this so will defer to others.

An RCD is absolutely vital, as it is designed to cut the supply if it detects a fault on the system such as a short caused by damage or water ingress.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Yeah. I'm confusing a surge protector with an RCD. Like I say, I'm very new to all this sort of stuff so I'm not totally sure what I'm doing just yet.

So, can you recommend a suitable RCD for an NEQ6?

An RCD can be purchased from any DIY store, wilkos etc. They are a plastic box that plugs into the mains in the house, which your 240v mains lead for the 12v PSU then plugs into. You NEQ6 runs at 12v so is not a problem - it is the mains supply you need to worry about.

One if these or similar:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69307-amp-Safety-Adaptor/dp/B0001KA0Y0/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_1

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Archived