Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

E621Keith

PANSTARRS visibility?

Tried to find it earlier just after sunset through the cloud breaks but no luck !

Will keep trying !!!

• Like 1

I thought I had bagged it but then tried again and could not find it. I wonder whether I saw a plane and its trail. The tail was up and to the left....Is that where the tail should be!

Mark

Yes upwards and to the left. Positioned to the left of where the Sun set . Obviously fuzzy core.

I thought I had bagged it but then tried again and could not find it. I wonder whether I saw a plane and its trail. The tail was up and to the left....Is that where the tail should be!

Mark

Yep.

a bit like this....

post-26073-0-79966300-1363112377_thumb.j

• Like 1

Clear forecast , what's the plan of attack ? Should I bring a telescope or just bino ?

Will it be in line with a think moon and where the sun sets ? And near Uranus ? Will that be visable too ?

Clouds are teasing me tonight, slowly moving from north to south over the western horizon but clear sky northward. When does the comet set?

The comet will be due west. You should be able to see a thin cresent moon that will be 'pointing' in the direction of the comet.

Clouds are teasing me tonight, slowly moving from north to south over the western horizon but clear sky northward. When does the comet set?

Sorry just saw tou said when. About 7:45ish. Best time to look will be just aftre 7 I would say. The sun will have set nearly an hour ago and the comet will still be above the horizon a bit. Will be about half way between the moon and the horizon.

Best time to look will be just aftre 7 I would say. The sun will have set nearly an hour ago and the comet will still be above the horizon a bit.

Thanks Steve, managed to see it, though was very faint. Definitely helped with binoculars still

was awesome viewing. Chuffed to bits.

Wow.

We spent about an hour outside, it was clear, but couldn't see the comet. But we took lots of nice pictures of the moon, some with a few seconds of exposure.

Then I get home, and guess what is lurking at the bottom of my photos? A certain small comet. So I did see it...but didn't even realize? Oh dear.

I think I blew my chance too. Was too busy stuffing my face after getting home from work, and by the time I looked out it was probably too low. Very nice crescent moon though! Hopefully if it's clear again tomorrow, I'll be better prepared.

Strange as it was harder to find than I expected, but much brighter than I expected when I did find it. Tail looking good. Wish I had taken my camera as well as bins.

Just got back in after observing it from West side of the Malvern hills. Good horizon and was a fairy easy object in bins, couldn't see it at all with the naked eye. Would estimate that the tail that I could see was about 10 arc mins long.

Pleased to have seen it.

thanks for that, should help a lot of us out

I spent an hour tonight trying to see it but a cloud sat just below the moon for the duration so that was that. The earthshine on the new moon was pretty though and I counted 3 of Jupiter's moons with binos - it was generally very soothing.

I had a phonecall waiting for me when I got in from my non-astronomer sister (who has eyes like an outhouse rat) telling me of the great view she'd had of it. Hmmph. Hehe.

Anyway, hopefully the pic has helped someone as well as my pesky sister to see it, so here's a couple more... (It seems only the coma and a little smudge of the tail is very faintly visible to us, not at all like the depiction below!)

post-26073-0-04778900-1363205600_thumb.j

post-26073-0-07652600-1363205625_thumb.j

post-26073-0-12291900-1363205654_thumb.j

post-26073-0-12109500-1363205684_thumb.j

West-North-West is what I have just after sunset and low down.