First step taken

Well,

For an owner of a vast aray of wide to ultra wide field eyepieces I took a step down from this and bought a narrow FOV BGO 6mm from FLO. I will not recieve it until I land in England which is on 30th April, so I will not be able to use it until I return here on 18th May, unless it comes with free 80mm APO and mount. I wanted to deal with it now because they seem to running out and I wanted FLO to understand they were dealing with a serious customer, it is easy to make promises in e-mails.

So I have the 6mm in the bag and maybe a Hutech will have to surfice for the 9-10mm spot, I would like something a bit shorter but I truely believe the 5mm will be difficult for me to use with having long eyelashes. I may well buy the Pentax 5mm XW if they have one.

So I hope this step is not a backward one.

Alan

Michael,

I believe John made a comparision witht the BGO and XW 5mm in a report on Sirius, brief but he make a point that the Pup was easier to see with the BGO, I'm just getting a few for planetry to give them a try, if I don't like them I will just sell them on, I am happy to loose a little just to see for myself.

However if I go for one I will do a report using my array of scopes.

Alan

Hi Alan

congratulation on your new additon

I have for many years looked and these are they for a short focal length or can they be used with a f/10 2000mm SCT scope ?

I also notce that FLO only have the 6mm left are they continuing them?

Many thanks

Doug

I'll be very interested to see what you make of the BGO 6mm Alan.

Using these is quite a different experience to using a long eye relief, wide field eyepiece. I find I need to be "in the right mood" for orthos :smiley:

Your scopes are driven though wheras mine are all alt-az and undriven so your should find the orthos easier to use. With the 6mm and 5mm, finding the eye lens in the dark can be a challenge !

@ Doug: The Baader Genuine Ortho's are out of production and stocks have very nearly run out everywhere now with just a handful (literally) seemingly left to be sold new. The longer focal length ones (9mm, 12.5mm and 18mm) ran out first. Baader have released the Baader Classic orthos in 3 focal lengths (6mm, 10mm and 18mm) which are less expensive than the BGO's, of simpler design and finish but optically very good I found. There is another ortho range on the horizon so hopefully these will fill the niche that the Baader GO's did.

John,

I am sort of basing my reason for getting the 6mm , apart from this is the only one they have, on the fact that I had the 5.5mm Meade S Plossl. This as I am sure you know has very short ER as has the shorter Ortho's, I was able to use this with a bit of moving the head around and getting in the right place.

I see two things coming out of this, I could also be in right mode with it and it will give me something to write a review about, not to steal your thunder but, 6mm BGO 'V' 6mm Delos, centre only. I will try to just consider like area for like area.

If I don't get on with it it will be in classified soon after..

I believe it's SGL 8 this weekend hope the weather is good.

Doug, Yes you can use the eyepieces on any scope and should be fine a 2000mm F10, But this will give you a very very high magnification, you would be better with something around 9-10mm.

Alan.

Alan.

Nice one Alan, the BGO/Delos should make for an interesting comparison! I tried the 5, 6 & 7mm BGO's for a time when I had a driven scope, but ultimately let them go as I found them uncomfortable for prolonged observing (the 5mm especially). Looking forward to your thoughts :-)

I see two things coming out of this, I could also be in right mode with it and it will give me something to write a review about, not to steal your thunder but, 6mm BGO 'V' 6mm Delos, centre only. I will try to just consider like area for like area.

The more reviews / reports the better IMHO Alan :smiley:

If I can't try them personally, the way I find out about equipment is to read as many opinions on them as I can find and then see if any trends emerge :smiley:

Well that is something for the back end of May, Antares should be up at a reasonable time then and I have some nice globulars to test them against and maybe the Swan Nebular will make a change from M42. we will see.

Alan.

Archived