Baader Hyperions with a binoviewer.

Hi All. Anyone using Baader Hyperions with their binoviewers ? Looking to maybe buying a 2nd Hyperion but not sure they will "fit", as a rather chunky EP and they may well hit each other before I can see thru both of them. Does that make sense ? Think the term is, the IPD of the binoviewers.

I have popped my current hyperions into the viewer but cannot tell if they are too big to be of use.

Any info gratefully recieved. I am using a standard pair of Burgess optical binoviewers.

So far, using SW plossls I have had cracking views of Jupiter. Looking to up the ante a bit.

Regards John

John

Have a look on CN, some people use them ok, I believe the shoulder is removable which gives you a couple more mm clearance.

But i suppose the only real way is to try them on for size. Performance wise, they sound good enough.

Hi Space Dragon. As You say. I will probably need to buy one and field test em. If no go, dont think i'll lose out much at re sale.

I see you have the Baader Maxbright BV's. I'm already beginning to itch for a pair of those. Are they a step up from the "standard" entry level BV's and the WO offerings too, if the Maxbrights are not your first viewers.

Regards John

John

The Maxbrights I would say are a step up from the entry level binos, although they were my first pair, so I can't really speak from experience.

The system that they are a part of is versatile, with 3 GPCs and a choice of T2 diagonals which keep the light path short in SCTs and Refractors {although I see you have a 200P]

The front aperture is 23mm, slightly larger than the WO but at the EP it's 21mm, I think it may depend on where the field stop lies in the EP as to what happens to the light cone.

Mechanically they are good but you do sometimes have to fiddle with the 3 locking screws in the EP collets and turn the EPs to merge the image.

I've had some great views through them but tend to use them with a refractor because they're nice n' light and don't require a GPC to reach focus, thus preserving a low power/wide FOV.

You can also put an Baader Alan Gee reducer/flattener in the light path, expensive but nice.

And if you ever came into a load of money it's all compatible with the eye-wateringly expensive Baader MkV.

I think the Burgess may have a 24mm aperture?.....it all depends if you just want to do planetary or DSO with a wider FOV.

Yes, it's complicated isn't it, which is why i've just bought some good quality 15x70 binoculars. Much simpler.

Bit of a minefield for sure. Mine are working best in my C100ED frac but they do work too with my 200p. However, the mag is a bit too much.

Think i'll work on some nice matching EP's first and then look at the Maxbrights. Will never look at a planet or the Moon in Cyclops mode, ever again.

John

Archived