SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Belgium

Bridgers

Hi there,

I am a English guy living in Belgium and just getting back into astronomy. 24 years ago I passed a GCSE in astronomy and used to own a Carl Zeiss Jena Telementor Refractor. Unfortunately life events meant I had to sell this a number of years ago.

I have recently sold my camera equipment to purchase a telescope, although I am keeping one D300 body for AP. My main interest is deep sky objects.

I have read many things about Cannon vs Nikon and AP. But at my level I am sure the limiting factor will be my skill level. Also it seems that D300s can take decent pictures. Although I have done a lot of paid wedding photography and I am happy with editing and camera technique, so no need for me to buy a new body.

I purchased Every Photon Counts and most likely my telescope choice will be the SW ED80 on a HEQ5 Pro mount. Apart from the obvious T adapter for the camera mounting, what other must have purchases do I need to get me started?

Looking forward to eventually posting my first images.

Bridgers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bridgers, and welcome to SGL.

I hope you get into the AP properly, it initially looks like a steep learning curve but it's made easier if you have friends who can help you out and ideally a local observatory club where they always encourage/help beginners. You're going down the DSLR route, but at some stage consider a CCD instead, they are more sensitive & suitable also for narrowband imaging. A dew heater would be something that I would definitely advise you buying since you'll lose nights/data otherwise with dew'ed up optics. You'll also need a filter wheel and some filters.

I also lived & worked in Belgium for a few years recently, a place called Schilde...

Martin

Welcome to the SGL.

Used to live on the Dutch/Belgium border, so know alot about the country...

We seem to be having a lot of people here with some connection to Belgium lol :D

Hi mate and welcome,

You've pretty much got all you need to get started (maybe a lead or two if you want to use your laptop). something thats cheap (or free if you're any good at blue peter projects) is a bahtinov mask to assist with focusing (quite essential really). Eventually, with a setup like that, it would be criminal not to get a guide scope and guide camera to allow longer exposures however it's not essential to get started. Oh yeah, and of course some descent skies.

Hope this helps

Hi Bridgers and welcome to the forum :)

I lived 3yrs in Herentals as a kid - army married quarters. Couldn't believe the house is still there when I zoomed in on google satellite view a few weeks ago. Thought it would have been flattened and redeveloped by now - it was some 50yrs ago lol.

You will deffo find it useful to have a remote shutter control for your camera - pressing buttons just vibrates the whole setup. A bahtinov mask as stated above - and maybe consider motorised focus control device - there's plenty around. Depending on your local conditions - dew control will be an issue. You'll need a dew band round the objective lens for both imaging scope and guide scope (if you have one) and probably the finder scope too - and a dew controller to plug them all into.

Hope that helps :)

Archived