Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

holly1402

What type of Binoculars ?

I have a Skywatcher telescope but i am considering getting a pair of Binoculars to use when out in the country ,I think they would be a bit easier to use and not having to cart my telescope around with me. Has anyone have any recommendations plus i don`t want to go too mad on price .

Thanks

Mark

Go for a standard set of birding binoculars, 8x42's.

Make and model depend on what the budget is and what is available.

If possible locate somewhere that has several sets in for you to try.

If you find a set that you like then buy the ones that you have in your hand not another "identical" set, there is variation within the same model and you may not get ones that match you quite as well.

I have a small pair of Olympus binoculars, bird watching type, but can honestly say that the quality of the image is way beyond the cheaper generic binocs that I also have.

It is a pleasure to look through them compared to the cheaper optics, so I think the lesson is to go for quality. You won't regret it.

I have a set of Bushnell 10x50, very good indeed. I also bought a small mount so they can be put on a tripod. Anything bigger than 10x50 will need a tripod to hold them steady.

A mount and tripod with any bins gives a far better view, a cheap camera tripod will do, but whatever bins you go for quality lenses are a must.

Try before you buy, Good Luck

Thanks guys for your comments . Is there a make you would recommend that come with good lenses. Would bins be ok to look at vertually anything in the night sky.

Mark

Thanks guys for your help i will certainly have a look at these .

Mark

Celestron 15x70 astromaster really are popular and are just about able to be handheld.

Olympus, Pentax, Zeiss(!).... almost any maker you can tie to decent camera lenses.

I have bought some decent binocs for astronomy recently, Bought Pentax 10x50 but swapped them for another as a bit too too heavy.... I would say go for something with BAK4 prisms though if you can as these are high quality and then size is you lobster as they get heavier and bigger...some of them are so big you need big muscles to even look at them never mind lift them ! Tripod solves but even so you have to think what you need and watch the weight !

Strathspey Binoculars, Their10x50 Marine model came out tops in a S@N review some time ago, the firm has a good reputation :)

John.

The first binos I bought were a pair of bulk-standard 7x50s from Jessops. Despite having bought 4 other pairs of different sizes in the years since (and several telescopes), these have given me more units of astro-pleasure per £ than any other equipment I have ever owned.