Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Mothy

I don't believe it

Hello, having lurked for some time trying to decide what to purchase I finaly ordered a Skywatche Skymax 127 Eq 3-2 from FLO.

It arrived on Monday 5th March and I spent the afternoon assembling it. In the evening all my thoughts of taking things slowly went out of the window. There were clear skys! :smiley: I managed to view Jupiter even if my polar alignment was dodgy.

Then this evening it was clear once again! Managed to get a better polar alignment and once again viewed Jupiter and also identified three moons (I think). Then it clouded over.

After all that I have read aboud new equipment ensuring cloudy skys I still can't believe it.

Hi, Mothy, and welcome to SGL! That's a very nice scope you have there, and I hope you get a lot of use out of it. As you live in Hampshire, and I'm in Lancashire I will phone FLO tomorrow and tell them they forgot to add the cloud packet if you like?!!!

Martin.

grats for the new toys!

yes normaly you get around 1 month of cloudy sky for 1k € of new equipment :rolleyes:

as the eye updates from version mk I to mk II or higher you should be able to see even the red spot...

...and then there comes the equipment fever...in the worst case with astrophotography.

beware of that!

slap on a webcam and follow jupiter...use registax und you should get impressive images!

look down to imaging planets.

the sw 127 is just made for that!

Welcome mothy , you are a lucky first timer! Been nice and clear here in the south east too. Enjoy your new hobby and keep a lock on your wallet , your gonna need it , kev

Hi Mothy welcome to SGL, lucky you getting clear skies, hope it continues for you.

Welcome to SGL Mothy. Don't be too disheartened now that rainy skies will destroy all possibility of getting back out again for another nine years or so. It comes with the territory. ;)

:rolleyes:

Welcome to SGL.

It's a very nice little scope. You should have a lot of fun with it.

James

Welcome to the SGL. you have better weather there than here in Ireland.

good luck over there with the scope!

Cheers,

Iddy

Hi Mothy

Very jealous of your scope!!! I have just started observing with a pair of 10 x 50 bins, am loving it and learning my way round the sky, but the temptation to jump to a scope is very strong particularly after reading your post.

• Like 1

Hi Mothy and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting your new scope and on having not one but two clear nights to try it out!

Wishing you continuous clear skies,

James

Thanks for the welcome.

tonedeaf my other hobby is photography. I don't know how long it will be before the DLSR get attached. Think I had best get used to using my eyes first.

Welcome Mothy.

Your lucky - since I got my new scope its been a cloud fest.

I've also got the SW 127 Mak with the Synscan mount - the moon looks awesome with it - very happy with its so far, albeit with limited use

Hello & welcome :laugh:

Shaun