Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

EA2007

Focal Reducer for a NexStar 4SE

Howdy kids,

As I am (ahem) 'a hard-up student' and it's getting towards christmas, I am looking for family to get me some useful presents lol. I am wondering, is it possible to get a focal reducer for my (massively high) f/12 NexStar 4SE ? Had a quick browse with google and all I could get was an f/6.3 reducer for all the NexStar's barring the 4SE, how bad is that!

So if anyone knows of how to bring my focal ratio down to an 'acceptable' level for astrophotogromaphy then I would be greatful.

has anyone tried the GSO 1.25" 0.5x focal reducer on the 4 SE?

i am planning to use it on the back of the Nexstar 4SE image erect diagonal that is fixed to the rear cassegrain port for land view. I read that using a focal reducer on the 4SE could give it a larger field of view? am new, so any inputs would really be helpful.

Yes I have used a .5 reducer on my 4SE and no it does not give a wider field of view if you already have either a 32mm plossl or 24mm wide-angle EP. The scope only shows you the maximum full field of a 1.25" EP so when you add the reducer to an ep that already shows this field (a hyperion 24mm in my case) all that happens is the view becomes vignetted. Instead of a 68 degree field of view the hyperion had a 50 degree field of view and - worse - the eye relief was cut in half... My advice would be to forget about reducers.

I'm not sure what you mean by an erecting diagonal - the view through a 4SE is already right side up...?

Edited by Ags

Forget it. The 'back focus' is so limited that its useless when you have the reducer attached. The 3.3 reducer is even worse.