Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finding dark spots

Hi all,

For those of you who have to travel to find a good dark spot somewhere (and not in the backgarden) I was wondering how you came to find your little spot? Do you just drive until you find somewhere that looks dark and safe to stop and set stuff up? Or do you get a spot recommended to you by people in your AS?

I used to just know lots of great places when I lived in Shropshire, but here in Herefordshire its all strange round ere! I guess I just need to do some exploring :)

I think that I would place a lot of value on establishing suitable locations, on local knowledge gleaned from your regional Astro Society or group, as well as for example sections from this forum. However there is no harm in poring over a few maps and exploring a bit to.

oh found a great light pollution map .... hmmm now to explore!

Quality idea. I browse maps looking for spots furthest away from towns, before starting a more local inspection. Best to have an observing buddy or two to meet up with though.

Good hunting

Luckily for me I live in a dark spot. There is a row of houses that blot out the street lights where the cars are parked. The only drawback is that I only see the eastern and southern sky. Sometimes I go to the local common. No street lights and very few trees to obstruct the view. Pretty bland landscape but ideal for astronomy.

Archived