SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing would be easier if...

...I could just remember a few simple things.

Set up basics...

Polar alignment is easier if you remember to take the cap off the end. Likewise if you don’t see anything after remembering to take the cap off, remember to swivel the mount so the polar scope is clear.

Know your equipment...

Fumble around for the RA control and give it a twist, to find I should have twisted the Dec one.

Once I get the right control and turn it clockwise, I realise I meant to go anticlockwise.

With the mount motors running, the occasional correction has me pushing the scope left instead of right. When I pause and think “I want to pan left, so I need to push the right button” I’m holding the control box upside-down.

Know when to call it a night...

Condensation on the laptop screen that doesn't wipe off is called ice, that’s when it’s time to go in.

You and me both, Dave. To be fair though having suffered a stroke 4 years ago has made life just that little bit harder. Instruction manuals, the scopes themselves. Sometimes it seems like gibberish. Once upon a time I would have gone through the instructions with a fine tooth comb before setting up, just to make sure I understood everything beforehand. Now I go straight in all guns blazing. Well haven't broken anything yet.

By the way. Love your profile picture. Fellow Rush fan, eh???? Brilliant.

Ditto instruction manuals, they could at least update the pictures when they change the mount. After covering the floor in strange looking bits of shiny metal I ended up using Sky at Night articles and youtube to figure out what goes where.

And this week I am a very happy Rush fan. I got tickets to their Sheffield show for me and a friend who is a music producer, he knows a promoter who works for their record label who is friendly enough with "the Holy Trinity" to have got us on the guest list for the show, upgraded seats and a meet and greet! After momentarily impersonating a 14 year old teenage girl who just met Justin Beiber I did eventually calm down. Roll on May for a different type of star gazing!

Sweet. I'm at the MEN. Got the best seats i've ever had at a Rush gig (and there have been many). In the centre 6th row back from the stage. About 10 feet. I'll be able to see the whites of Geddy's eyes.

And this week I am a very happy Rush fan. I got tickets to their Sheffield show for me and a friend who is a music producer, he knows a promoter who works for their record label who is friendly enough with "the Holy Trinity" to have got us on the guest list for the show, upgraded seats and a meet and greet! After momentarily impersonating a 14 year old teenage girl who just met Justin Beiber I did eventually calm down. Roll on May for a different type of star gazing!

Ooh you lucky, jammy.........:lol:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sweet. I'm at the MEN. Got the best seats i've ever had at a Rush gig (and there have been many). In the centre 6th row back from the stage. About 10 feet. I'll be able to see the whites of Geddy's eyes.

Excellent! Then you should get a view even better than this...

IMG 1117 small

And Starnut...man flu is what ladies call pneumonia/TB/rabies or many other very debilitating illness that we men get but struggle through with just a quiet groan.

Archived