Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What can I see??

Hello,

ive just got my new skyliner 250px and took it out for a quick go tonight. We can see Jupiter its crystal clear, two beautiful red bands and 3 definite moons, what a beautiful site!!

What other things appear more than a dot? It's a little misty tonight so thought I'd come here and get the tips and tricks ready for tomorrow. I'm not sure what you can see through a telescope, we tried Betelgeuse but it was the same size through the scope as it was without. Tried andromeda but it was too misty so didn't spend too much time on it.

Thankyoooooou :-)

when its clear, not misty like tonight things like M42 great nebula ion orion, M45 and lots of other stuff, if you have not done so, download the free programme called stellarium, it shows what can be seen

Saturn will be along in the evening sky shortly. I've never seen it with my 10" dob either. I can hardly wait :)

James

my partner was asking last night how long until we can see Saturn! It didn't help every review was like "Saturn just takes your breath away!!" I'm more of a Jupiter fan :-)

Both Saturn and Jupiter are fantastic. Jupiter is just slipping away by the late evening now, so Saturn will be along soon.

I always say I prefer Jupiter, but then I can't wait for Saturn to come round again.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Both Saturn and Jupiter are fantastic. Jupiter is just slipping away by the late evening now, so Saturn will be along soon.

I always say I prefer Jupiter, but then I can't wait for Saturn to come round again.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Yeah I agree, i love looking at Jupiter and it's moons but get super excited for Saturn to make it's appearance. Been looking on google and people have nothing but good reviews for the new scope and saturn so super excited! We take ourselves away to dark areas for Saturn. It was good fun trying to fit the scope in the car last night! Don't think I'll be carrying it anytime soon!! :rolleyes:

There's just something about Saturn :) Jupiter being closer and having more visible detail is wonderful to see, but I've always thought there's such an air of unreality about Saturn. Those rings have a lot to answer for...

James

I haven't seen Saturn yet. Anyone know when it's going to be viewable at a decent degree above the horizon?

Jupiter though.. Wow!!! Always looks brilliant. 23rd November was when I seen my first transit, it was Ganymede with the GRS just below it, that was amazing!

Oh we have the Skywalk (i think its called) App on the iphone and that's really good, shows you how low Saturn is at the mo so you can see it rising slowly. You point the phone at the sky and it tells you what each dot is.

I was looking at Saturn 0300hrs this morning, and 'skir', I could see the rings with my CPC 800 using the Pentax XF 8.5.

Excellent. I've no excuses left for not getting up early in the morning then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I haven't seen Saturn yet. Anyone know when it's going to be viewable at a decent degree above the horizon?

probably around 2023-2028 unfortunately buddy :( not good at all for the next 10 - 15 years for planetary imaging my friend :(

Martin

I would get " Turn left at Orion", there'spages and pages of things to see, useful finder charts and even the view through a Dobsonian, ideal starter.

Probably the only handy atlas is Sky and Telescope's "Pocket Sky Atlas", large pocket size and spiral bound,

Nick.

Would you be able to see Saturn's rings with an 8"?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I saw Saturn for the first time a few weeks ago (very early in the morning) with my 200p f/5 the rings were extremley clear as was the Cassini division & I managed 4 moons which apparently isnt easy so I was really lucky. It reaches opposition mid April but wont be this good again for quite a few years :mad:

Steve

Archived