SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Farnborough!

DoodleDragon

Hi there,

I'm completely new to this. I've always been a bit of a stargazer and fascinated by the planets but have no clue what I'm looking at. My eldest (he's 6) has been sci fi obsessed since seeing David Tennant departing Doctor Who when he was 3 and is naturally taking an interest in astronomy now. I have been informed that he intends to be an "astrominer" when he's older.

So he's saving for his first telescope (the cheap cack that he got from father christmas does not count) and I am browsing to try and learn more about what the hell we do with it.

Please be prepared for some really thick questions.... :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi DoodleDragon and welcome to SGL, nice to have your Son involved, perhaps if you give us some idea what you generally want to observe may have some bearing on what you eventually end up with. There are some decent basic set ups, but there are also some that should be avoided. Let us know what you are interested in then perhaps the members can make some well informed observations, before you dip your hand in your pocket :)

John.

glowjet I've already made myself at home in your equipment forum and have had a lot of help so far. impressed by the warm welcome, thanks everyone. will be a while yet before he has his pennies saved up enough but at least now I know what to aim for!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Plenty of advice available here and there is no such thing as a daft question - only the one you don't ask! :grin: One bit of free planetarium software that is probably worth downloading is called Stellarium and you can read more about it here. Lots of great features that will show you where objects are and the great graphics really help you get a grip on how the night sky moves etc. It can also be configured to produce an identical sky to that which you can see from you observing point, which makes identifying anything you find a lot easier. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Hi DoodleDragon and son welcome to SGL, good luck choosing a new telescope, the folks here will help you out making up your mind, if your working to a tight budget dont dont be

afraid to try ebay.

good luck and enjoy.

Archived