SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42 comparison - why stacking rules!

Welrod50

Hopefully everyone isn't too bored with viewing M42 images, but these are my best attempts thus far and the old Orion Nebula wont be around for much longer, so I thought I would post two images.

The first is a single 60 sec sub at iso 4000 (RAW) unmodded Pentax Kx, Prime focus through SW 130 PDS unguided. Processed with PS Elements 8.

post-22225-0-11903000-1362356789_thumb.j

The second is a full DSS job, all lights at iso 4000, x12 30 sec and x12 15 sec with x25 each darks, flats and bias unguided and also prime focus (all RAWS). Finished off with Elements 8. I think you'll agree, for an unmodded Kx the colours aren't bad and it definitely shows that stacking is well worth it.

post-22225-0-13012800-1362356822_thumb.j

Hope you enjoy. Any critique or pointers most welcome :)

Update - pictures look a bit overprocessed on here. Much more subtle on my calibrated monitor and as larger files. Downsizing for posting here has done them no favours.

:rolleyes:

Lovely - particularly the stacked version :) The processing looks alright to me :) I think this is a very pleasant image of the main part of M42. More data would give you some of the nebulosity around the edges but it would take a lot of careful work to improve on the centre. This object has such a huge brightness range that it's virtually impossible to keep the main part nice and get all the surrounding nebulosity without losing contrast. Great job there, well done :)

Thank you for your kind comments :) I've had another play this morning and improved on the whole thing slightly. There is a marked difference in the thumbnails displayed here and the actual image I have rendered on the monitor at home. These thumbs are much darker and look overprocessed. I will artificially lighten the one from earlier and post it up to see if it looks more like the one I have infront of me.

Cheers for looking !

:)

I've had another go at processing M42 and artificially lightened the image to see if it looks better. If it does - great, if not, thanks for looking again anyway ;)

Clear skies!!

post-22225-0-89573000-1362435228_thumb.j

EDIT - it doesn't really. The blacks are lovely and well balanced and the nebulae are sharper on my image. Hey ho :rolleyes:

Archived