Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are the best iPad apps?

Astralstroll

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Dave,

I use SkySafari+ for scope control, but also find Star Walk to be very good, too.

Weather wise, I'm still looking for an iPad app that's as good as the Met Office app on the phone.

Good luck, it's a great piece of kit for astronomy.

Carl

Ain't tried that one but I will try it and the the scope nights that teslar is showing that does sound like a well worth it app. And if you like the space station there's a good free app called iss spotter it follows it across the earth live and let's you know when it passes over your location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planets was my first, and I still use it occasionally just for its simple visibility view.

Moon is good for phases and planning, Moon Globe is great for a moon chart.

Sky Safari + is my choice for planetarium apps. I've tried a few others but didn't like them as much (GoSkyWatch, SkyOrb, Stellarium are the main ones). If you want some crazy-foo detail get TriAtlas too ;)

I've been playing with SkyHarbinger but haven't made my mind up yet. I have the MetOffice app, but often find forecast.co.uk and BBC weather are more accurate if I take an average of what they're both saying...

HTH :D

I've been using GoSky Watch Planetarium on the ipad for a while now - very good and you can switch it to night view to preserve your night vision

I really liked this when I was using it, but then I started finding some inaccuracies in it - eg some objects had wrong magnitudes which really confuses an observing session - so I moved away from it. I did have a play with it again recently, just out of interest since I was wrenched to move away, and actually although the interface seemed nicer at the time it's actually less easy to use than SkySafari even if it looked nicer.

Can you actually use sky safari to control a goto scope? Pardon my ignorance but I havnt really looked into it much yet

Yes - but you'll need plus or pro, not the standard one.

Archived