2.5mm Nagler or 2x Barlow 4mm UWAN?

Davestate

Simple question for those in the know... would I be better buying a 2.5mm Nagler or buy a Televue 2x Barlow and use that with my 4mm Williams UWAN?

Is another option to buy the 2-4mm Nagler zoom?

Remember that the views will be determined by the weakest link, so the views will only ever be as good as the UWAN (not saying that that's a bad thing mind you!). I think the Nagler 3-6mm / 2-4mm would be a good idea, because then you can squeeze the most out of the conditions on offer, just a thought.

HTH

I've used the solutions you are thinking of. I found the Nagler T6 2.5mm was a great eyepiece but I could not use it because the tiny exit pupil showed the floaters in my eye really strongly which was most distracting. I guess I'd go for the zoom option too because you get that flexibility to tune the magnification to what the conditions will stand. I've found that I just don't use eyepiece focal lengths shorter than 3.5mm now so I'm using a Pentax XW 3.5mm for that and it's a great eyepiece :smiley:

What are you taking the plunge on, the 3-6mm Zoom or 2-4mm Zoom? Either would be great, but I fear both will make your UWAN stay in the case ;). I do think the 3-6mm would be a better option :).

You do know that the Nagler zooms are 50 degree eyepieces ?

I'm sure you do but I just thought I'd mention in just in case :smiley:

These zooms were specifically designed for use with fast ED refractors so I'm sure they would complement your 80ED excellently.

You do know that the Nagler zooms are 50 degree eyepieces ?

I'm sure you do but I just thought I'd mention in just in case :smiley:

These zooms were specifically designed for use with fast ED refractors so I'm sure they would complement your 80ED excellently.

Not sure if that was aimed at me or Dave to be honest, but personally, I was aware. I don't really think there is a big need for FOV at that end (especially not if you've got tracking).

These zooms are perfect for short focal length scopes, probably sub 700mm, so you can make the most out of UK conditions.

Not sure if that was aimed at me or Dave to be honest, but personally, I was aware. I don't really think there is a big need for FOV at that end (especially not if you've got tracking).

These zooms are perfect for short focal length scopes, probably sub 700mm, so you can make the most out of UK conditions.

It was aimed (gently !) at Dave, Jonathan :smiley:

I don't have tracking / eq mounts so wide field is helpful even at high power. That said, I have a lot of fun with orthos too :smiley:

I'm tempted to get a 3-6mm Nagler zoom myself but I've owned them in the past and not quite warmed to them, for some reason I can't quite work out :undecided:

Theres no doubt they are excellent eyepieces though.

It was aimed (gently !) at Dave, Jonathan :smiley:

I don't have tracking / eq mounts so wide field is helpful even at high power. That said, I have a lot of fun with orthos too :smiley:

I'm tempted to get a 3-6mm Nagler zoom myself but I've owned them in the past and not quite warmed to them, for some reason I can't quite work out :undecided:

Theres no doubt they are excellent eyepieces though.

Sorry, I meant to add a smiley to my post :):rolleyes: .

Could it be the eye relief (about 12mm) or the need to push the scope?

Orthoscopics are excellent eyepieces usually, it's just I'm not aware of many (or any) 2.5 / 2mm Orthos, I should imagine the eye relief would be non-existant (or about 1mm!).

I think the convenience of a zoom should sell it for you Dave, if you get it second hand and don't like it, you can always sell on. Isn't that great? :)

Hope I helped in the decision making, and I hope I didn't make the choice harder :evil: .

:)

Archived